• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 month p/o and struggling.

Tomorrow is my 1 month post op anniversary. Honestly the first few days I was tired and sore, after that I felt great! I was walking, I had energy and couldn’t wait for this journey. That feeling last about 2 weeks. Now I’m struggling with everything. Nothing sounds good, nothing tastes good, everything tastes sour so I never want to eat. Today I’ve had 41 calories and no protein. I can’t stomach protein shakes, I’ve tried isopure, genepro, and protein shots from BariatricPal and I can’t tolerate any of them. I’m in the soft foods stage so I was excited to try new foods. Something will taste great day 1 and then it’s disgusting. All I want to do is sleep all day. I already spoke to my surgical team and they said just keep trying things. Which so far has not helped. Anything that anyone else found early post op that tasted good that I should try???

Call your team again and tell them it's not working. Keep calling if it doesn't work. Eventually it will either work, or they'll have you come in for tests. It might be a phase, but it also might be indicating a problem.

I liked semi-solid foods for a long time after surgery. This included MaltOMeal made with magic milk (no water), cream of mushroom soup made with magic milk, yogurt with protein powder mixed in along with a banana in a blender, nutritional yeast mixed into any savory soup or stew and again, Trader Joe's vanilla or chocolate protein powders added to liquids or solids, mixed well.

Diane's magic milk recipe is a packet of powdered milk added to a quart of skim milk. Tastes just like milk, doubles the protein.

Fair life milk is ultra filtered and so has more protein than most. I also like their protein shakes but only chocolate. also try adding fresh herbs to protein water. It breaks through the swetness.

Soft scrambled eggs, slow cooked chicken, ground turkey chili, beans or Greek yogurt, cottage cheese? Any source of protein.

Where did you get your 41 calories from? You cannot survive on 41 calories and no protein. So, you may just need to find whatever is least disgusting and eat it until your taste goes back to normal.

Diane's magic milk recipe is a packet of powdered milk added to a quart of skim milk. Tastes just like milk, doubles the protein.

Fair life milk is ultra filtered and so has more protein than most. I also like their protein shakes but only chocolate. also try adding fresh herbs to protein water. It breaks through the swetness.

Soft scrambled eggs, slow cooked chicken, ground turkey chili, beans or Greek yogurt, cottage cheese? Any source of protein.

Where did you get your 41 calories from? You cannot survive on 41 calories and no protein. So, you may just need to find whatever is least disgusting and eat it until your taste goes back to normal.
I had some canned pears, and some
Green beans. They tastes ok. I loved fair life shakes before surgery and now they make me nauseas, same with premier protein. I’ve never heard of Diane’s magic milk, I’ll have to look into that. Thank you!

Green beans. They tastes ok. I loved fair life shakes before surgery and now they make me nauseas, same with premier protein. I’ve never heard of Diane’s magic milk, I’ll have to look into that. Thank you!
search this forum. I've posted it several times. I think it's also on my profile along with my post-op eating plan.

Do remember, however, that what works for one person may not work for another, and be ready to make adjustments that work for you, including whether or not you like or don't like the taste of the stuff you're combining. Don't sweat it, though. It's just a short period of time following surgery and you'll live. Do try to start using nutritional supplements in the form of chewable and liquid vitamins and minerals, though.. I still make sure I take the RDA of necessary nutrients every day.

I’m three week
Tomorrow is my 1 month post op anniversary. Honestly the first few days I was tired and sore, after that I felt great! I was walking, I had energy and couldn’t wait for this journey. That feeling last about 2 weeks. Now I’m struggling with everything. Nothing sounds good, nothing tastes good, everything tastes sour so I never want to eat. Today I’ve had 41 calories and no protein. I can’t stomach protein shakes, I’ve tried isopure, genepro, and protein shots from BariatricPal and I can’t tolerate any of them. I’m in the soft foods stage so I was excited to try new foods. Something will taste great day 1 and then it’s disgusting. All I want to do is sleep all day. I already spoke to my surgical team and they said just keep trying things. Which so far has not helped. Anything that anyone else found early post op that tasted good that I should try???
s tomorrow and getting protein but I’m so tired all the time. Thought the giving up caffeine struggle would be over by now.

Surprisingly caffeine was not my biggest hurdle considering how much coffee I used to drink. I did reach out to my nutritionist and my dr who both told me that because I’m not eating as much as o should be given the horrible taste in my mouth, my ketones are out of what causing the taste. They called me in some zofran for the nausea and I basically just need to eat what I can when I can because once I’m getting calories and protein again my taste issues will resolve. I also see my Dr on Monday so hopefully it will resolve and I can keep moving forward.

Thought the giving up caffeine struggle would be over by now.

Welcome and congratulations, Johimbe. You didn't say what procedure you had, but each type brings with it different recovery responses. But all of them result in fatigue. Your body has been through a surgical procedure, which is difficult enough. But your digestive process has also been changed, and several of your organs are affected by that. What you want to do is give healing your highest priority. Follow the post-op eating plan you doctor gives you, and if anything feels bigger than you think it should, call your team and be prepared to hit your local initial care facility for a check up.

Caffeine is a common topic in this group. Did your doctor or nutritionist tell you to give it up? It seems common nowadays, but I had my surgery many years ago, and was not cautioned against it, nor did I ever give it up. I'm a one-cup-a-day coffee drinker and there's no negotiating about that. I'm having that perfectly made, absolutely delicious, essential element in the morning. Now, I know there's caffeine in a lot of other foods, so I would definitely be willing to give any of those up, but that little bit of coffee is as important as any healthy meal I eat.

Make sure you tell your team members how you're feeling, and if caffeine seems like an issue, ask them if you can have one drink containing caffeine every day.

You're not on any kind of weight-loss diet. You had WLS for medical reasons, chief being obesity and what secondary disease comes with that. You're trying not to become diabetic or have terminal heart problems. My not-so-humble opinion is that a high percentage of dieticians are biased and will recommend you cut things out that they don't approve of. If someone had said I had to give up caffeine, I would have asked why, and made them specify how that would be bad for ME, because I'd want to know why they think they know me when they just met me.

Anyway, I never gave it up, and I followed the post-op diet that was given to me to the letter. I ate better after surgery than before, by far, and started feeling better right away, except for the weariness. I had an open procedure which was general anesthesia surgery, so my recovery time was longer than most. I allowed myself to stay in bed for more than a week and had a roommate who helped me prepare my liquid and pureed diet phases.

Just remember, you are unique. If your post-op diet is making you weak and tired, talk to a medical professional about it. You may reveal things about your unique physique that will allow a dietician to allow you an exception. In this business, the more you tell and the more honest you are, the better your odds of successful recovery.

Best of luck.

Welcome and congratulations, Johimbe. You didn't say what procedure you had, but each type brings with it different recovery responses. But all of them result in fatigue. Your body has been through a surgical procedure, which is difficult enough. But your digestive process has also been changed, and several of your organs are affected by that. What you want to do is give healing your highest priority. Follow the post-op eating plan you doctor gives you, and if anything feels bigger than you think it should, call your team and be prepared to hit your local initial care facility for a check up.

Caffeine is a common topic in this group. Did your doctor or nutritionist tell you to give it up? It seems common nowadays, but I had my surgery many years ago, and was not cautioned against it, nor did I ever give it up. I'm a one-cup-a-day coffee drinker and there's no negotiating about that. I'm having that perfectly made, absolutely delicious, essential element in the morning. Now, I know there's caffeine in a lot of other foods, so I would definitely be willing to give any of those up, but that little bit of coffee is as important as any healthy meal I eat.

Make sure you tell your team members how you're feeling, and if caffeine seems like an issue, ask them if you can have one drink containing caffeine every day.

You're not on any kind of weight-loss diet. You had WLS for medical reasons, chief being obesity and what secondary disease comes with that. You're trying not to become diabetic or have terminal heart problems. My not-so-humble opinion is that a high percentage of dieticians are biased and will recommend you cut things out that they don't approve of. If someone had said I had to give up caffeine, I would have asked why, and made them specify how that would be bad for ME, because I'd want to know why they think they know me when they just met me.

Anyway, I never gave it up, and I followed the post-op diet that was given to me to the letter. I ate better after surgery than before, by far, and started feeling better right away, except for the weariness. I had an open procedure which was general anesthesia surgery, so my recovery time was longer than most. I allowed myself to stay in bed for more than a week and had a roommate who helped me prepare my liquid and pureed diet phases.

Just remember, you are unique. If your post-op diet is making you weak and tired, talk to a medical professional about it. You may reveal things about your unique physique that will allow a dietician to allow you an exception. In this business, the more you tell and the more honest you are, the better your odds of successful recovery.

Best of luck.
Diane, I really identify with what you said about not being on a weight loss diet. I understand that weight loss is the goal but it does feel frustrating when dieticians recommend low fat milk or dressing or mayo especially when I can eat so little of these things. I want to enjoy what I eat in moderation, I don't want to have a “less than” experience. I don’t want my life to revolve around Low fat eating, that is deprivation in my opinion. I am working towards a healthy relationship with food and that means not seeing food as good or bad. Aren’t we already taking big steps toward healtH by drastically shrinking our stomachs and no longer tolerating certain foods. Do we have to DIET as well?! Am I naive? Do I have a poor attitude?

Right now you can't eat very much at all and so full fat milk isn't going to hurt you. Although, some people are bothered by too much fat in their foods.

Eventually you are going to be able to eat more. More than you think. More than you need. And it can be surprisingly easy to gain weight for some of us. Choices have to be made. That's just a fact of life.

I will be honest, since they took 3/4 of my stomach and make a quicker path through my digestive track I thought "How much work do I actually have to put in?!?" The answer is quite a bit. Am I a dieter? No. I had ice cream yesterday. But, I plan and make healthy meals. I don't keep ice cream, or anything else that might make me gain weight, in the house. If I want ice cream, I have to go get it. And, no I don't eat it low fat or keto. But I DO stay aware of what and how much is going in my body. Things I eat daily or regularly, I try to choose the healthiest options. The difference in my light dressing vs the full fat is 100 calories. I would prefer an afternoon snack for those calories. But you'll make your own choices and your own substitutions based on what you prefer.

These very frank conversations are so helpful. I do not have a surgery date yet but I am lifelong learner and I feel like a sponge. I just ordered some protein shakes to try different types to figure out what I will like. Now I am wondering if it will be so different after surgery that I should wait to try them. What do you all recommend?

I have no medical proof here, but I believe the lack of processed foods in the early days allows your tastebuds to reset too. So REAL food tastes so much better. We became accustomed to artificially flavored foods. There are so many flavor additives to keep consistency that it overwhelms natural flavor.

Roast or grill some veggies, y'all. It's SO good. I sprinkle them with olive oil, balsamic and fresh herbs .. O M G!! I eat them like candy lol

I was given anti nausea meds to take home just because of this. I'm 8 weeks out and still get nauseous at times, especially if I eat too fast.

These very frank conversations are so helpful. I do not have a surgery date yet but I am lifelong learner and I feel like a sponge. I just ordered some protein shakes to try different types to figure out what I will like. Now I am wondering if it will be so different after surgery that I should wait to try them. What do you all recommend?
I love Orgain products. I order their plant based chocolate protein shakes, assorted flavors of protein powders and have whey and collagen proteins to add to that.

Back