• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 month post op

Hi Ros. 23 lb is nothing to sneeze at. That's a great loss for your first month following bariatric surgery.

If you think it should be more, or you think you can lose more, try keeping a food journal. Write down every single crumb you put in your mouth, and what time of day, and if you really want to, break it down to protein grams, calories, carbohydrates and portion size.

Also log your exercise if you walk or go to the gym. This will help you become very conscious of your movements and you can increase your activity when you want.

There's really no explanation for why people lose at different rates. It's just what happens. Are you pleased with your results, aside from the fact that you think you should have lost more?

Thanks Diane! Excellent ideas. And I will begin tracking everything. I think I’m just expecting too much. I’ve been trying different foods to determine what I can and cannot eat. So far, I have been able to eat everything I’ve tried.

I’m starting to increase my exercise. So I should be fine. I just wasn’t sure if it was normal. Thanks for responding. I guess the answer is there is no normal since everyone is different.

A loss is a loss! Good job!
I'm 3.5 weeks post-op and my weight loss has already slowed. I asked my dietician and she said it's normal for people to plateau for 2 or 3 weeks in the first 3 months and not to worry. She said it especially happens during the transitions, ie, liquid diet to pureed foods, pureed to soft, or soft to regular.

Back