• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 year anniversary doctor visit

KarenWV

Hi everyone. I am feeling on top of the world right now. I met with the nutritionist yesterday for my 1st annual post-surgery follow-up visit. I was a bit nervous, but it went well, better than I could have hoped for, really.

My starting weight was 234 lbs. My weight yesterday on the doctor's scale, which always seems to be a couple lbs higher than my home scale, was 162.4, for a total loss of 71.6 lbs. My bmi officially is below the "obese" category, so I now am considered "overweight." It's kinda weird to be happy about being overweight, but it feels good that I'm not "obese" anymore.

My nutritionist mentioned that I am blessed not to have much excess skin around my abdomen. She also gave me a compliment by saying I make 60 (yrs old) look good. Wow! I don't want to sound like I'm bragging. I just feel so happy and positive about my progress this year.

My bloodwork results didn't make it to her office in time for my visit, so she will phone me with the results whenever she receives them.

Thank you everyone for the support and encouragement you show each of us during our journeys before, during, and after WLS. I couldn't have come this far without y'all's help. I love y'all!!! ❤❤❤❤

congratulations, Queen Karen!

Sounds like a great report. Mine was still complaining I wasn’t getting enough protein still. But my pcp on Tuesday reported I am on track with my protein. So we both have good reports for this week. Way to go. Be fun, be safe, choose happiness.
That's funny you should mention protein. I told my nutritionist I just don't do breakfast, so I start my day with a protein shake. She said she usually has one daily too! So cool to know that.

I also told her I drink up to 128ozs of water daily. She warned me of the possibility of overhydration, but it shouldn't be a problem bc my blood pressure med has a diuretic, and 1 of my 16oz bottles is caffeine.

Thanks for the encouragement from you & everyone here. Y'all rock!!!

Just got a call from my nutritionist about my blood panels. My cbc & a1c levels were normal - a1c was 5! Everything else was good, except my potassium was a little low. Not low enough for supplements, but it probably has to do with my higher hydration amounts, which range from 96-128ozs daily. I can cut my water intake, or drink something called Body Armour, which would boost my potassium a bit.

All in all, she reaffirmed that I am right where I need to be at one year out. I feel so blessed that they gave me the tools to help me prepare for this new, healthier life I am living. I am in it for the long haul, and I am excitedly looking forward to reaching my goal weight by Christmas. I then will stay in maintenance and follow missyinacage's example by keeping within 5 lbs of that goal weight.

Again, thank y'all so very much for all of the helpful tips and advice, the positivity and encouragement.

My year was up in early August but my appointment got pushed out to September 20th. I'm down 159 pounds total (85 since my surgery 8/3/2021). All my labs look good and I feel amazing. I've kind of slid into keto as my norm and it has made my life so much easier food wise. Best wishes to you all. I'll check in after my next Dr. Appt.

Back