• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

10 days post op

Hi. I just has surgery 10 days ago. I feel good, am down 11 pounds! But it just feels weird not eating. Do you ever feel normal again, where every waking thought isn't about water or protein? Thanks!

Hi Ali, welcome and congrats on a successful surgery and 11 pounds! :)

It takes a while to get used to the new things like tracking water and protein but they do become second nature. As you plug along, you'll see it becomes routine. Some research shows that it takes an average of 12 weeks to build new habits: How Long Does it Take to Form a Habit? Backed by Science..

You're very early in the process but yes, you will feel normal again. Not your old version of normal of course, but you'll develop a new normal. Most of us made this decision for surgery because our old normal was making us unhealthy, unhappy people. We needed a drastic intervention to mix things up. ;)

Good luck and please keep us posted on your journey.

Thank you, Brenda. It makes it a bit easier to talk to someone who has done this. I am not usually one to join a group, but I hope this will be another change I can make for myself!
We're a really non-judgmental group here so please keep writing. Supporting each other is so important through this journey ;)

Back