• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

10 Yrs out and have lost 25 more than my goal. And still losing

i started my journey at 232. my goal was 150 and i am now at 125. I am never hungry, i make my self eat, i have had numerous scopes that showed no problems and if i eat anything solid i throw it up... i am scared, tired of being told i look sick and i need to eat.... There seems to be NOTHING on the internet that I can find about this. PLEASE HELP!!!

If you're confident that you have ruled out any organic physical cause, it might be a mental tic that you've developed over time. It's certainly possible to do that, especially when the reaction is vomiting. Some people vomit who don't have weight problems and they do it with very little provocation, at the sound of a word or the thought of an image.

But if you're 10 years out, why are you worrying about it now? If you've been surviving on a liquid diet for 10 years, maybe it's the right path for you. Make sure you cover your vitamins and minerals, and since you've been getting scoped, you must have regular medical care specific to this problem. We aren't doctors here. You're in better hands with your own physician.

But you sound concerned, and you say people are looking at you and thinking you look sick. The internet is certainly not a doctor, and you really have to be suspicious of anything you read there, including what you read here. However, no one in this group is going to try to diagnose you.

You presented a chronic problem for which you have repeatedly sought medical help, and you're still having the problem. I have never heard of anyone having this problem, or being able to maintain a liquid diet for longer than a few months. Frankly, your story is incredulous.

I'm being frank with you. If you're describing your problems 100% accurately, and not exaggerating when you say "if I eat anything solid I throw it up" literally, you need to escalate your cause.

And when you do that, you need to include a professional mental health worker who specializes in eating disorders. There are a lot of them around and you have a documented problem that has gone on for a long time. No insurance plan could possibly deny payment.

That said, just because I've never heard of it, doesn't mean someone here it doesn't suffer from it. If anyone does, I hope you'll speak up.

You haven't said what kind of physical shape you're in. Are you healthy? Do you get blood draws when you get checked out? If so, do your results show that you have adequate vitamin and mineral levels?

I've read your post 10 times, trying to read between the lines, trying to comprehend your perceptions. When people write in absolutes, like "the most" and "the best" and "nothing works" and "I've tried everything," it's not necessarily hyperbole. On the other hand, it might be. If you want to tell your story, and you might have gone over the top a little with your descriptions, please write again and be very, very specific with your symptoms, the number of times this has happened and any consequences you've suffered as a result.

This group really does exist to help and support people who are going through different things before and after bariatric surgery. But I honestly don't see how we can say anything to you right now except, "see your doctor."

If you're confident that you have ruled out any organic physical cause, it might be a mental tic that you've developed over time. It's certainly possible to do that, especially when the reaction is vomiting. Some people vomit who don't have weight problems and they do it with very little provocation, at the sound of a word or the thought of an image.

But if you're 10 years out, why are you worrying about it now? If you've been surviving on a liquid diet for 10 years, maybe it's the right path for you. Make sure you cover your vitamins and minerals, and since you've been getting scoped, you must have regular medical care specific to this problem. We aren't doctors here. You're in better hands with your own physician.

But you sound concerned, and you say people are looking at you and thinking you look sick. The internet is certainly not a doctor, and you really have to be suspicious of anything you read there, including what you read here. However, no one in this group is going to try to diagnose you.

You presented a chronic problem for which you have repeatedly sought medical help, and you're still having the problem. I have never heard of anyone having this problem, or being able to maintain a liquid diet for longer than a few months. Frankly, your story is incredulous.

I'm being frank with you. If you're describing your problems 100% accurately, and not exaggerating when you say "if I eat anything solid I throw it up" literally, you need to escalate your cause.

And when you do that, you need to include a professional mental health worker who specializes in eating disorders. There are a lot of them around and you have a documented problem that has gone on for a long time. No insurance plan could possibly deny payment.

That said, just because I've never heard of it, doesn't mean someone here it doesn't suffer from it. If anyone does, I hope you'll speak up.

You haven't said what kind of physical shape you're in. Are you healthy? Do you get blood draws when you get checked out? If so, do your results show that you have adequate vitamin and mineral levels?

I've read your post 10 times, trying to read between the lines, trying to comprehend your perceptions. When people write in absolutes, like "the most" and "the best" and "nothing works" and "I've tried everything," it's not necessarily hyperbole. On the other hand, it might be. If you want to tell your story, and you might have gone over the top a little with your descriptions, please write again and be very, very specific with your symptoms, the number of times this has happened and any consequences you've suffered as a result.

This group really does exist to help and support people who are going through different things before and after bariatric surgery. But I honestly don't see how we can say anything to you right now except, "see your doctor."
Thank you for your advice. I will post again and make some clarification.

untill approximately January of of this year 2019, i was stable at 160 to 165, i felt good, was a workaholic, felt great about my image and i had the occasional time that i ate a bite or 2 to many and got sick but nothing i wasnt aware of from the start. So in my opinion, all normal for what i expected from this procedure. I guess it has been in the last 6-8 months things began to change, i was hospitalized for low potassium. 2 points from ICU but blessed i didnt have to go there.. i went through 10 IV's in 2 days trying to get through 1 bag of iv potassium but if anyone has ever had it, u know how bad it burns ur veins and how painful it is. after all that i only made it through half the tiny bag and i made them remove it.. i know not the best decision... anyhow, i make sure i take my vitamins now every day!!! I do have blood draws regularly and i had a few that were low but my vitamins were adjusted and things are good now in that area. and i do have my husband give my B-12 shot once a month.

So just to clarify some of the questions and/or statements to the response. First , i never said i have survived on liquid for 10 years! I have not exaggerated anything in my first post or this one at all.. this is me and my story and i cant help if anyone feels i have stretched the truth or anything of the sort.. I already get enough judgement in person and i finally reached out here and feel like the first response i got was filled with disbelief and judgement because my issues are not the normal. But this is me and my story 100%. i have not survived on a liquid diet the whole 10 years, only been mainly liquid here lately. and i am sorry you took from my story what u did.. i dont look at the internet or here for someone to diagnose me and just because u have not heard of this before doesn't mean it does not happen... Regardless, i was simply reaching out to see if anyone has had any issues similar to mine... There are plenty of stories with not so happy endings 10+ years out but it seems to be those people tend to not reach out. The ones who stay sick, have constant issues, and are sick of judge3and i told u so comments... All i am here for is anyone with possible ideas of a next step, advice from people who have had similar issues this far out and so on. Thanks

I would reach out to the bariatric Dr. that performed the surgery if possible. If not possible, maybe a different Dr other than the one ordering the scopes to get a second opinion? I had a medical issue that 3 drs misdiagnosed!
I'm not far enough out post op to have experienced anything like this, but it does sound like your recent issues are not your norm. Keep investigating! Don't give up!

I agree with Annie. I would absolutely see if I could get in to see a different Bariatric surgeon( if you have not done so already).
This is a drastic change from your normal and I would be very concerned if it was myself in your position.
I feel like sometimes the same doctor can sometimes tend to think their regular patients could be exaggerating.
It happened to me with my surgeon( not bariatric,other surgery). I finally went to my gyno who I trust more than any of my other doctors and he was all over it and started calling his surgeon friends from NOLA and Baton Rouge and within 3 days they figured out what was wrong.
You are your own best advocate.
I am praying for a quick answer to your illness and please, please keep us updated.

I agree with Annie. I would absolutely see if I could get in to see a different Bariatric surgeon( if you have not done so already).
This is a drastic change from your normal and I would be very concerned if it was myself in your position.
I feel like sometimes the same doctor can sometimes tend to think their regular patients could be exaggerating.
It happened to me with my surgeon( not bariatric,other surgery). I finally went to my gyno who I trust more than any of my other doctors and he was all over it and started calling his surgeon friends from NOLA and Baton Rouge and within 3 days they figured out what was wrong.
You are your own best advocate.
I am praying for a quick answer to your illness and please, please keep us updated.
thank you. i am def. not giving up but it is such a hassle to figure out. i really appreciated your encouragement, kindness and prayer. Thank You

I would reach out to the bariatric Dr. that performed the surgery if possible. If not possible, maybe a different Dr other than the one ordering the scopes to get a second opinion? I had a medical issue that 3 drs misdiagnosed!
I'm not far enough out post op to have experienced anything like this, but it does sound like your recent issues are not your norm. Keep investigating! Don't give up!
Thank You for the information. Sadly my bypass Dr and his wife were in practice together and have since divorced and she stayed here and he is now to far away.. I reached out to her but no response... So thats that. but i am going to keep perusing this till someone figures it out.. thank you...

untill approximately January of of this year 2019, i was stable at 160 to 165, i felt good, was a workaholic, felt great about my image and i had the occasional time that i ate a bite or 2 to many and got sick but nothing i wasnt aware of from the start. So in my opinion, all normal for what i expected from this procedure. I guess it has been in the last 6-8 months things began to change

First , i never said i have survived on liquid for 10 years! I have not exaggerated anything in my first post or this one at all.. this is me and my story and i cant help if anyone feels i have stretched the truth or anything of the sort.. I already get enough judgement in person and i finally reached out here and feel like the first response i got was filled with disbelief and judgement because my issues are not the normal.
My post in an effort to help you was not full of disbelief and judgment. I resent that. You didn't say anything about it being a recent onset. Your subject indicated it was a 10-year problem. That's why I responded the way I did. I give the best feedback possible based on what the person writes. I spent a long time thinking about it and re-read your post many times. Based on what you wrote, I stand behind what I replied. I was trying to support you, but really, you should read your own words. Your second post was very clear. It should have been your first post.

And whether you like it or not, saying that you can't keep anything down IS an exaggeration because you would be dead if you were throwing up every single thing you ate. I took you at your word and I found your situation extremely alarming. My response to you was designed to help you sort things out and to clarify what the problem was.

My advice is the same. You need to see a different doctor.

Don't worry. I won't be giving you any more advice or feedback. I hope that you find the answers to your problems locally, because no one here can advise you.

Last edited:
i started my journey at 232. my goal was 150 and i am now at 125. I am never hungry, i make my self eat, i have had numerous scopes that showed no problems and if i eat anything solid i throw it up... i am scared, tired of being told i look sick and i need to eat.... There seems to be NOTHING on the internet that I can find about this. PLEASE HELP!!!
My post in an effort to help you was not full of disbelief and judgment. I resent that. You didn't say anything about it being a recent onset. Your subject indicated it was a 10-year problem. That's why I responded the way I did. I give the best feedback possible based on what the person writes. I spent a long time thinking about it and re-read your post many times. Based on what you wrote, I stand behind what I replied. I was trying to support you, but really, you should read your own words. Your second post was very clear. It should have been your first post.

And whether you like it or not, saying that you can't keep anything down IS an exaggeration because you would be dead if you were throwing up every single thing you ate. I took you at your word and I found your situation extremely alarming. My response to you was designed to help you sort things out and to clarify what the problem was.

My advice is the same. You need to see a different doctor.

Don't worry. I won't be giving you any more advice or feedback. I hope that you find the answers to your problems locally because, because no one here can advise you.
then reread the first post... the begining of it is titled. 10 years out....what about that says i have been like this for 10 years... and i agree. i would rather you did not respond to me anylonger... and please for future post to others try not to speak for everyone in this group like you just did in your last sentence saying no one here can advise you!!! If someone comes along that have had similar issues they can absolutely advise me as to what steps they have taken or tried and i can do the same for them.... Isn't that the point? To give advise to one another in hopes of support and help..... You just have a great journey with your weight loss adventure. Good Day

I'm 11 years out and am just like her. I throw up everything I mean everything that i put in my body even ice been to hospital several time due to no insurance and they test and test and tell me everything is fine we'll I know it's not fine and I'm sick n tired of being sick b tried

untill approximately January of of this year 2019, i was stable at 160 to 165, i felt good, was a workaholic, felt great about my image and i had the occasional time that i ate a bite or 2 to many and got sick but nothing i wasnt aware of from the start. So in my opinion, all normal for what i expected from this procedure. I guess it has been in the last 6-8 months things began to change, i was hospitalized for low potassium. 2 points from ICU but blessed i didnt have to go there.. i went through 10 IV's in 2 days trying to get through 1 bag of iv potassium but if anyone has ever had it, u know how bad it burns ur veins and how painful it is. after all that i only made it through half the tiny bag and i made them remove it.. i know not the best decision... anyhow, i make sure i take my vitamins now every day!!! I do have blood draws regularly and i had a few that were low but my vitamins were adjusted and things are good now in that area. and i do have my husband give my B-12 shot once a month.

So just to clarify some of the questions and/or statements to the response. First , i never said i have survived on liquid for 10 years! I have not exaggerated anything in my first post or this one at all.. this is me and my story and i cant help if anyone feels i have stretched the truth or anything of the sort.. I already get enough judgement in person and i finally reached out here and feel like the first response i got was filled with disbelief and judgement because my issues are not the normal. But this is me and my story 100%. i have not survived on a liquid diet the whole 10 years, only been mainly liquid here lately. and i am sorry you took from my story what u did.. i dont look at the internet or here for someone to diagnose me and just because u have not heard of this before doesn't mean it does not happen... Regardless, i was simply reaching out to see if anyone has had any issues similar to mine... There are plenty of stories with not so happy endings 10+ years out but it seems to be those people tend to not reach out. The ones who stay sick, have constant issues, and are sick of judge3and i told u so comments... All i am here for is anyone with possible ideas of a next step, advice from people who have had similar issues this far out and so on. Thanks
I can understand what you're saying. Changes can suck, especially when your body does wierd things. I had bypass surgery back in '07. I'm not discounting your issue nor do I think anybody else is either. My body has changed since then. I used to be able to eat a small meal, now I'm back to eating one or two bites and I'm done. My current wife has finally gotten used to my eating habits after 10 years. I've had two kidney stones in the last 5 years and they are calcium oxilate composition. I've had to discontinue my calcium vitamin recently. Hang in there, maybe things will change. Don't be discouraged. Don't sweat the small things, as the Bible startes "this too shall pass." It may just take time.

I'm 11 years out and am just like her. I throw up everything I mean everything that i put in my body even ice been to hospital several time due to no insurance and they test and test and tell me everything is fine we'll I know it's not fine and I'm sick n tired of being sick b tried
I thought of something. I still get sick if I drink too fast or if it's too cold. I'm 13 years out.

Back