• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

11days post op

Michele1024

Hi, I am a new member. I am 11 days post op gastric bypass. I have read so many people’s stories of how they were out and about so soon after surgery, but I have not been able to do that. I constantly feel fatigued and sometimes foggy, I don’t want to eat, and still have a lot of bloating. I am on full liquids and tolerating well. Has anyone else had this experience?

Hi Michele, I had VSG surgery back in January, and I experienced what you are experiencing! I did force myself to go walk around the block at least once per day almost every day after release from the hospital (about 20 minutes) but there were a few days I simply couldn't do it. At 6 weeks out, I was able to get back to cycling on a recumbent bike at the local YMCA, so I do that most days for 60 minutes a day. I did not push myself to eat the foods at each recovery phase until I felt comfortable and ready to try them. Now at 3 months out, the only foods I seem to be experiencing problems with is chicken and salmon (no problems with other seafoods) and surprisingly no problem with bread or salads. I hope you feel better soon!

Hi, Michele. I'm sorry you're not having the best recovery. Unfortunately, not everyone heals as quickly as they would like. I was lucky. My husband, who had the sleeve in Feb. 2022, was not. It took him several weeks to feel better.

You had major surgery. They have rerouted your intestinal tract and left you a pouch the size of a walnut to process food. The food you're not eating yet, so you're also low on nutrients. You WILL feel better soon. Hang in there. And please be sure to mention to your doctor, surgeon or care team how you are feeling. They can help.

Hi Michele, I had VSG surgery back in January, and I experienced what you are experiencing! I did force myself to go walk around the block at least once per day almost every day after release from the hospital (about 20 minutes) but there were a few days I simply couldn't do it. At 6 weeks out, I was able to get back to cycling on a recumbent bike at the local YMCA, so I do that most days for 60 minutes a day. I did not push myself to eat the foods at each recovery phase until I felt comfortable and ready to try them. Now at 3 months out, the only foods I seem to be experiencing problems with is chicken and salmon (no problems with other seafoods) and surprisingly no problem with bread or salads. I hope you feel better soon!
Thank you so much for your reply. I am starting to feel a little discouraged because I did not anticipate this. I will keep working and I know it will get better!

Hi Michele, I know it's not easy in the beginning...I also suffered from unexpected constipation and deterioration of my mental health, but now I am doing so much better! I hope you can rally through and keep reading through all the posts on this website. It's a great site for encouragement and support! If you cannot make it out for a walk yet, even try walking around your residence with your arms raised to see if some movement helps you.

Back