• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

11months post op and need to get back into the groove ..

SwtHrt7

I am 11 months post op and have seemed to hit a plateau where I am not gaining nor losing (not a bad thing) but i feel myself getting discouraged. My portion sizes still arnt what they were before surgery .. but I know Im eating more than I should. I have been working to continue to be more aware of my food choices and portions--i want to start drinking protein shakes again but whey protein just makes me sick after one sip my stomach turns. It doesnt matter if i make it with water or skim milk--tried diff flavors and adding fruit and ice--makes my stomach turn! I know if i start doing protein shakes again along with little meals i will get back on track! Help!! I dont want to keep spending a fortune on different protein shakes that dont work for me!

I did the 5 day pouch test recently and it really helped me stop the cravings and grazing. It did require 2 days of protein shakes. I have heard of vegan shakes that you can get at the health food store. Also some use fruit flavored ones. Also you can get individual size samples so in case you don't like it. I did it with a few people and one woman modified her food plan to just protien and veggies and said it helped as well. Glad you are posting as you obviously want to continue. You have made great progress. Sometimes we just need to go back to basics. I guess it is like pushing the reset button.

I am 11 months post op and have seemed to hit a plateau where I am not gaining nor losing (not a bad thing) but i feel myself getting discouraged. My portion sizes still arnt what they were before surgery .. but I know Im eating more than I should. I have been working to continue to be more aware of my food choices and portions--i want to start drinking protein shakes again but whey protein just makes me sick after one sip my stomach turns. It doesnt matter if i make it with water or skim milk--tried diff flavors and adding fruit and ice--makes my stomach turn! I know if i start doing protein shakes again along with little meals i will get back on track! Help!! I dont want to keep spending a fortune on different protein shakes that dont work for me!

Congratulations!

Down 92 pounds in 11 months.

You should be proud.

I am told as you drop more weight, you will slow down in losing weight and you will see more weight plateaus.

However, your success is measured by a lot more than simply weight loss.

Sit down and list your accomplishments. Your activities that you can do now that you couldn't before, etc., etc.,

Here is my list just as an example:

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless

If you can't stomach protein shakes then why fight it.

I cook chicken breast up and chunk it into pieces. (1/4 of a split chicken breast is 40 calories) I put green beans (1/4 cup 10 calories) in a bowel mixed with stewed tomatoes (1/4 cup 18 calories) and for 68 calories I have a nutritious meal. If you dont like green beans or stewed tomatoes then pick two other vegetables. If you dont like chicken then pick a different meat. I make alot of it up and freeze it in sealed bowls and take out of the freezer as I use it. The point is don't make eating a choice of how much or what to eat while you are hungry. Meals should be well planned ahead. Sometimes I use rotisserie chicken from the deli. Sometimes I cook. But I always know ahead what I am eating and the portion size and life is much easier. With small calories per meal you may want to eat more than 3 meals a day. I am really not hungry unless I'm late for my mealtime.

You are on the road to health and success. We need to be ever watchful that old eating habits don't return. You have done wonderful losing the weight you have lost. Keep marching foward. Don't get distracted. We are all here to help each other.

Good Luck. :)

Cheyenne

Thanks everyone!! I really need to get back on here everyday for continued support from other wonderful people taking the same journey as I am!! You all gave me great advice and appreciate the compliments!! All things I've been needing to hear that I just dont hear from my home supporters--they just dont understand where I am coming from or how it feels!

Thanks everyone!! I really need to get back on here everyday for continued support from other wonderful people taking the same journey as I am!! You all gave me great advice and appreciate the compliments!! All things I've been needing to hear that I just dont hear from my home supporters--they just dont understand where I am coming from or how it feels!

You are so right on that! I don't know what I would do without this forum. We live in a rural area and it's too far to go to any support groups. My husband, my mother and sisters are deceased and they were really the only people who would have helped me unconditionally. I have to stay motivated all on my own. I check into this forum many times every day as this keeps my brain tuned in to my new lifes journey.. and it gives me the support I need from my friends on the forum to be successful. Everyday I think how lucky I am to have come this far and I set my goal for 5 pounds at a time. My weight loss has recently slowed down but thats okay because I know I didn't put all this weight on instantly and its going to take a little time to take it off. I am so happy that I feel so much healthier and more energetic.

We are all friends here with common goals. We will be successful!!!!! :)

Cheyenne

Keep coming to the forum. We will support you all you need. You will succeed.

Think positive.

Measure success more than by weight loss alone.

Ralph

your post is VERY ENCOURAGING so happy for you and how well you are doing. thanks for taking time to encourage others, have a good day, Donna

your post is VERY ENCOURAGING so happy for you and how well you are doing. thanks for taking time to encourage others, have a good day, Donna

Hi Donna,

I see you don't post your starting weight and where you are at right now. This is certainly your choice to do so or not to do so.

I have one comment with respect to goal setting. I did not set a goal to a specific weight number. This can create so many psychological issues.

I fully expect to get under 200 pounds and that it will happen this year.

If you look at my stats you will see I started at 288 and now I am at 223.2. Oh, yes I have to update my current weight.

My weight loss per month has slowed down as it will for all of us. I am losing about 6 pounds or so per month now. Well, sometime this summer/fall I will reach and drop below 200. Where it goes from there is up to my body. if I didn't lose another pound below 200, that would be fine by me. In fact, if I didn't lose another pound from this point forward it would be OK. I have enjoyed so many more benefits from the weight loss that I have achieved to date. Just to list them again, here they are:

• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless

I love listing them. I try to emphasize to everyone, the benefits go far beyond just weight loss.

Here is one to think about. I am 70 years old this past January 7, 2014. I was falling apart, getting sick on all kinds of meds. My odds of making 80 were slim to none. Well, now I firmly believe I have a new lease on LIFE !!!!

I believe, God willing, that I have an excellent chance now of making 80 and beyond. So, weight goal isn't my primary goal; living and enjoying my children and soon to be my grandson are more important. This is a means to an end. I hope to see my Lieutenant US Navy submariner command his own sub someday. I need to make late 70s or early 80s to see that.

So many more important goals other than weight.

Best wishes,

Ralph

hello
Congratulations!

Down 92 pounds in 11 months.

You should be proud.

I am told as you drop more weight, you will slow down in losing weight and you will see more weight plateaus.

However, your success is measured by a lot more than simply weight loss.

Sit down and list your accomplishments. Your activities that you can do now that you couldn't before, etc., etc.,

Here is my list just as an example:

• Legs no longer swollen
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless[/QUOT

hi I am new to site and am nervous about the success of keeping the weight off. i have about 3 more weeks to wait and i am so glad to hear of your success. did u do sleeve or other? i have all the same health stuff u do

Back