• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

12 Days Post Op and I'm on my way

HTownDana

Hello! I had my surgery on 12/29/15 and had some complications, but am coming along nicely. I had a gastric band placed in 2009, and had gained back most of my weight. I had developed a lot of scar tissue constricting the band, and had gotten to the point where I was having a hard time getting much of anything down without a lot of pain. Turned out I had lots of acid reflux damage below the band as well. So removing the band was essential, and due to the damage I had, a gastic bypass was my only option. I was OK with that because the band had failed, but I was a bit scared. My doctor had said I would spend 1 night in the hospital. THAT didn't happen.

They gave me the blood thinner shot before surgery, and following surgery I started to bleed, causing some pretty spectacular bruising. I am probably one of the few patients that shouldn't have gotten that shot. I gained 17 pounds of IV Fluids and swelling from the 29th to the 2nd, and spent New Years Eve in ICU due to my heart starting to go nuts (A-Fib). I went home on Saturday January 2nd, and started to heal. I had arranged a week off from work anyway, and have needed every minute of it. My bruising (bust to pelvis) is fading daily, and I've lost all of the 17 pounds of IV/Swelling weight I brought home, plus 6 more. I return to work tomorrow. I have a fairly sedentary job, so I'll be able to move slowly without anyone noticing much. I'm still a little sore, but haven't taken any pain meds other than crushed Tylenol since Jan. 6th. I wanted more, but realized without it my bowels would start working sooner.

Luckily, my doctor and clinic provide all the vitamins and supplements (Chewable or liquid - I chose chewable) in monthly packs so I don't have to looking all over to get what I need. I bought one of those huge pill sorters so I could spread them out through the day and get what I need every day. So right now I'm just watching the clock and trying to get the protein in throughout the day. I have a bit of an appetite, but I hear that will go away.

My rebellious "treat" in the last few days has been to get a Cheeto's PUFF and let it melt in my mouth.

Happy New Year everyone. I look forward to this new adventure, and doing it well.

Wow you had a rough time of it.

I had a lot of bruising too and that can be painful.

I am happy to hear that you are on your way and doing better.

Congratulations

Ralph

Back