• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

16 years post surgery

How does a person had 2006 gastric bypass I started at 260- got down to 150 and now am 173. I need to know how to be able to lose the 20+ pounds again. I am a success story; I still can only eat apx. 8-10 ounces per meal. Eating that small amount also makes it hard to know what a diet would consist of now. Please any help is appreciated.

Hi Carol. I am new on this journey, but not to dieting and weight loss. I would say if you want to lose a few pounds, you may want to track your calorie intake and output. You will need to create a deficit of calories. The best way to do that is to focus on clean, whole foods. If you are eating 1,500 calories per day, and burning 2,000- then you will lose 1 pound per week. You need to create a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose 1 pound. I have a fitbit that helps me track.

That's the ticket, above. Track your input, measure your intake. Not forever but I still do it a few days a week. It keeps me honest. I have a food scale on my counter,right next to the coffee pot. It takes no effort to hit the zero b4 I put food on a plate.

Also, tracking allows you to check your macros. Make sure you are getting enough protein and not overdoing the fats or carbs.

How does a person had 2006 gastric bypass I started at 260- got down to 150 and now am 173. I need to know how to be able to lose the 20+ pounds again. I am a success story; I still can only eat apx. 8-10 ounces per meal. Eating that small amount also makes it hard to know what a diet would consist of now. Please any help is appreciated.
Hello start by going back to your basics. Three meals a day with two snacks. Weighing and measuring of 5 to 6 oz per meal. Drink your min of 64oz of water. Also get active start taking small steps like walking around the neighborhood every day. Even though you may be eating healthy your intake might be to much. Get your protein and fiber intake in. With that everything else will fall into place. Good luck

Congratulations on your success!!!! I hope to achieve this!

I would say just track your calories, see where you are currently and then slowly decrease from there to find your comfort spot. Comfortable with the weight loss and how much you are eating. Don't starve yourself, just cut enough to create a small enough calorie deficit to slowly lose weight.

You got this!

A good rule of thumb is to avoid food that's white. Those foods tend to be high in starch and low in vitamins, though high in minerals. I'd just keep it lean with broiled meat and leafy vegetables, sprinkled with vinegars and seasonings. You can really make some delicious food that way. And I like to make my food look really pretty and put it on a tray with a napkin and silver service. I think I have some photos of my foods in the pictures on my profile page. Congratulations to you, though. Be proud of yourself. I'll be 15 years out in August and I can't even remember the dark days of stuffing myself into a size 22.

Back