• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

17+ years out of surgery and still over 100 pounds lost

JMC17815

Hi everyone! I just posted in the introduction forum, but since I'm so far out of surgery, I thought I'd post here and answer the question.
Long term struggles: my weight can really fluctuate with my food choices. The cleaner I eat, the more stable my weight. I'm not perfect, and sometimes I do snack more than I should, but I quickly try to reign it in and get back on track. For me, I never want to go back to the weight I was or to the life I had. Life is so much fuller and more beautiful when I feel good about myself. So I guess I would say I focus on my "why". Why did I want surgery in the first place? Why does feeling better about myself make a difference? Why is it important for me to maintain a healthy weight?
How I cope: I actually try to workout at least 5 days a week, and being almost 51, lifting weights is a part of my routine. As we age, weight bearing exercises become more important to preserve muscle and bone mass. I eat clean for the most part, and since I weight train, I do have a daily protein shake, but mostly I try to get most of my nutrition from the food I eat. I also train other women and am close to being certified as a health and wellness coach. My goal in that is to help other WSL patients who struggle with finding their "why" in the midst of regain. It breaks my heart when I hear people say the surgery didn't work for them, or they're just destined to be overweight. So if I can help, I want to help.

Hi everyone! I just posted in the introduction forum, but since I'm so far out of surgery, I thought I'd post here and answer the question.
Long term struggles: my weight can really fluctuate with my food choices. The cleaner I eat, the more stable my weight. I'm not perfect, and sometimes I do snack more than I should, but I quickly try to reign it in and get back on track. For me, I never want to go back to the weight I was or to the life I had. Life is so much fuller and more beautiful when I feel good about myself. So I guess I would say I focus on my "why". Why did I want surgery in the first place? Why does feeling better about myself make a difference? Why is it important for me to maintain a healthy weight?
How I cope: I actually try to workout at least 5 days a week, and being almost 51, lifting weights is a part of my routine. As we age, weight bearing exercises become more important to preserve muscle and bone mass. I eat clean for the most part, and since I weight train, I do have a daily protein shake, but mostly I try to get most of my nutrition from the food I eat. I also train other women and am close to being certified as a health and wellness coach. My goal in that is to help other WSL patients who struggle with finding their "why" in the midst of regain. It breaks my heart when I hear people say the surgery didn't work for them, or they're just destined to be overweight. So if I can help, I want to help.

View attachment 3279
Hi, I am almost 12 years post surgery and my weight is creeping back up. I have regained abut 18 lbs. I lost a total of 110 lbs but again I feel like I am slipping. do you have any suggestions? Do you attend support groups? I find myself stress eating. Have you ever done a reset?
Any help or advice would be awesome. I don't want to gain anymore back!!!

Hi, I am almost 12 years post surgery and my weight is creeping back up. I have regained abut 18 lbs. I lost a total of 110 lbs but again I feel like I am slipping. do you have any suggestions? Do you attend support groups? I find myself stress eating. Have you ever done a reset?
Any help or advice would be awesome. I don't want to gain anymore back!!!
HI Katie! I sent you a message with suggestions and ideas. A lot of people are dealing with stress eating right now, so you're not alone. I have not done a reset. I've seen some pretty strict resets where they advocate drinking 2 shakes a day and eating a meal. And while this works for some, it's not for me. I feel like it's a short term fix when what people really need to do is to start cleaning up their nutrition. Eat protein first, drink your water, eat clean, get rid of the crap foods....easier said than done, but it can be done. Change your mindset...be positive, remember how you feel when you eat foods that take energy away from you (I feel bloated and heavy) vs. foods that give you energy (I feel light and my body feels and looks tighter). And move your body....get outside if you can and get fresh air...it does wonders for one's mental wellness or get in the gym.

Hi Jen,
Thank you for the response. I agree with you to get back to the basics is great. I feel like to break some of these habits that i have slipped back into I may need a kick start if that makes sense. I know right before and after my surgery I was drinking 3 meal replacement shakes per day. This stopped my cravings for sugar and broke the "thinking about food" cycle for me. I am debating doing this for a week or two and then slowly adding back one meal at a time.
I do not enjoy working out and so this has always been a struggle for me. I wish I could enjoy it more like others do. Any ideas for that?
It is sure nice to connect with you. I appreciate your thoughtful, positive and encouraging response.
Katie

I am 68 years old, 14 years out. Did great overall. I find now that I am having sick spells which include dry vomiting and bad diarrhea, hot spells. For sure not eatting properly and having a terrible time getting motivated. The old sugar cravings are back, no energy and have gains 20 lbs. not sure where to turn

Don't try to diagnose yourself. Whatever is going on with you needs to be part of what you tell a doctor, while seeking an answer. It seems to happen all the time that people who have experienced a huge weight loss and then stumble back into obesity many years later always attribute it to some kind of failure of the surgery. If you are not a doctor who has studied for a dozen years or more, see a doctor who can diagnose you.

I'm 69, 13 years out and had a similar experience. Long story short, I let my doctor figure it out and thank goodness I did. 2020 is a unique setting and the old rules do NOT apply. See a medical professional and rejoice after you find yourself back on track. Your motivation WILL return when the underlying problem is resolved. Trust me, and accept the fact that you can only guess, not know, what the problem is.

Back