• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

18 Month Anniversary

fuww57

The 23rd of February marked the 18 month anniversary of my gastric sleeve surgery. All is well and I had my periodic dialogue with my nutritionist. She told me that I shouldn't lose any more weight. I am remaining at the same weight, more or less, but as she confirmed, there is 5 lb. leeway. I continue to surprise myself when trying on clothes and I have now found that size medium is the right fit for many items. With my new eyewear and haircut I really look like a different person to me. I do a lot of self-examination in mirrors and windows. When I sit on the subway and notice my reflection it just freaks me out, in a good way. But I feel it is a good way to forget the past by morphing into another person. It's like being in a play of film complete with costumes (who ever thought a rugby shirt would look slimming on me?). It's not vanity because I don't feel superior to others, just like one of the boys now and that's what I wanted. I think I've said this for but I am truly grateful for all that's happened and very, very lucky. I had absolutely now trouble from the surgery in these 18 months, except for losing the extra padding on my bum which makes sitting on the subway seats uncomfortable. But ll things considered, the trade off is fine with me.

Congratulations on your 18 month Anniversary!!!

I feel your happiness, I feel your joy and awe at the change in yourself. I feel the same way. Everytime I see my reflection in a store window, for a moment I'm amazed that it's me. As you said it's not a vanity thing , it's just being able to feel like a normal person. I also am truly grateful for my surgery and for my new better life..

Congratulations again!

Cheyenne :cool:

Congratulations on reaching this major milestone! I'm only 3 months out from surgery, but I also see a different person when I pass a mirror. One of my biggest thrills was clothes shopping 1 month after surgery. I selected a pair of pants in my usual size and one size smaller and tried them on. The saleslady came by and asked if she could help with anything. I handed her the smaller of the two pants (I'm grinning while I type this) and got to say those ever-so-wonderful words "Could I try these in a size smaller, please?" And they fit!!! It's the little things like that bring such joy. My latest biggest thrill was when my endocrinologist pronounced me "no longer diabetic" as my A1c dropped to 4.8.

Yeah - it feels good!

Congrats to all of you who have made it through and are continuing with the journey towards good health!

At the risk of sounding like a mutual admiration society, I say, "Thank you and well done, my dear!" Yes, the clothes thing is awesome. Back in November I went to Walmart in Florida with my nephew to buy jeans and I had a little meltdown when I slipped into a 36" waist. It gets very emotional at times but in a good way, I think. I went ahead and got a new look so I don't see any trace of the old me. I do carry around a photo on my Android as warning reminder. The real important point, though, is how your health improved. I was briefly at diabetes level right before surgery. My A1C was 6.5 I asked the doctor if that meant I needed to go on meds for it and he said thati it wasn't necessary because the number would go down after the surgery. He was right. According to my most recent blood work, which was last August, it was 5.0! You beat me by .2. Brava! So keep up the good work and I cannot stress enough, as your doctors and nutritionist must do, to make sure you follow their directions That is the key to continued success. So, protein, protein protein; calcium, calcium, calcium; hydrate, hydrate, hydrate."

Congrats on your milestone. I hope to be in the same sense of awh at my 18 mos anniversary

Hey fantastic for sure.

I know what you are saying.

I am now almost 17 months post op and maintaining quite well at 196 to 199 range. This was my goal and I am staying in this weight range.

I simply love all the energy I have. I love the ability to walk the neighborhood with my dogs without difficulty. I love the fact that I look just fine now.

We all have to live with the excess skin that now hangs around, but that is OK by me.

I have thought about the plastic operation procedures to remove it, but.... it costs a lot and it can be difficult.

So, I accept the hanging excess skin.

We all should be proud of our accomplishments.

We all need to keep supporting each other so that this becomes a long and successful path to a healthier and more active life; extended life.

Ralph

Yeah, I don't want to have the plastic surgery either. Sounds very, very painful not to mention expensive. I've heard pros and cons about it, like anything else I guess. No one notices it when I'm in clothes and even at the pool and beach, no one has passed out from looking at me (so far). A lady in the supermarket the other day said I looked skinny with no sarcasm or patronizing tone in her voice. How awesome was that?

Back