• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 Days After Surgery

InterstateP

Hello everyone and I am SO happy to have found an active support group. I had gastric sleeve done on Monday (2/22) afternoon and was released from the hospital just before noon yesterday (2/23). At the hospital I was about to drink 4oz/hour but I’m really struggling to get my fluids in at home. I sip really slowly and still get sharp pains in my upper abdominal area. So it’s beyond unpleasant to drink anything. Shakes are a little easier to get down, maybe because of their consistency? Does this all seem normal? Sorry if this is such an amateur question but I’ve seen a lot of good information shared in this forum. Thank you and nice to meet you all!

Do what you can. Tiny sips continuously. It's a pretty strange experience at first, for sure. Things should get better and more comfortable with time.

If you are alternating by sipping an ounce of water and then sipping an ounce of shake, you might try alternating your sips between water and shake. Have a tiny 1oz cup of water and another 1oz cup of shake. Take a very small sip of one, and then wait a bit and a small sip of the other and spread the 2oz out over 30 mins. I took ridiculously small sips, like almost nothing for the first several days, but I was able to get through 4oz an hour that way. Some people have a bit more difficulty, but it's important to keep trying as dehydration is an issue you want to avoid.

I had my surgery 08/2020 and I had the same problem after my surgery. It was super hard for me to get liquids . I would get pains and I was so nauseous. I would sleep a lot due to the pain that everyone said was normal . I ended up very dehydrated and couldn’t kee anything down at 5 days I had to go to the ER to get fluids . Please try your best to drink water water water or cal your doctor and tell them what’s going on .

The hospital sent me home with those plastic 1 oz medicine cups and told me to try to get down an ounce every 15 minutes. You can use a shot glass, which I believe is an ounce and a half. For me, it just made it seem more doable. I felt like, okay, I could get down this tiny bit. But the bottle of water in front of me? Just the idea made me nauseous. Also, try playing with the temp of the water. I liked ice cold but I know others vary anywhere from hot to room temp.

Hello everyone and I am SO happy to have found an active support group. I had gastric sleeve done on Monday (2/22) afternoon and was released from the hospital just before noon yesterday (2/23). At the hospital I was about to drink 4oz/hour but I’m really struggling to get my fluids in at home. I sip really slowly and still get sharp pains in my upper abdominal area. So it’s beyond unpleasant to drink anything. Shakes are a little easier to get down, maybe because of their consistency? Does this all seem normal? Sorry if this is such an amateur question but I’ve seen a lot of good information shared in this forum. Thank you and nice to meet you all!
Yes normal. I took double the time to get back up to normal water consumption due to pain. You can ask about a med that helps reduce the cramping but honestly I dodnt find it that much extra helpful. I notice my body does much better with room temp liquids than cold, this might be worth trying. Also be sure when you are taking your sips to not take in to much air as that can cause pain.

What about shaved ice or sugar free pop cycles?

Back