• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 most post op / weight stalls ?

99% of people have stalls. Some of them have a stall that only lasts for a few weeks or even two weeks. I had a stall that lasted for five months. However I had already lost between 75 and 90 lb during the stall so I felt like I looked okay and didn't feel discouraged about how I was eating.

Sometimes a stall can be broken by an increase in activity. You might join the Y and go swimming a few times a week or take a walk everyday. That might kick your metabolism into gear and stop the stall. There really isn't any predicting or any average weight loss or a whole lot of common ground. Just try not to worry about it and if it happens, realize that it will not last. Your body will not stop losing the weight you need to lose as long as you are following your eating plan. I don't know of anyone who hasn't reached his or her goal. Stalls are just something that scare you, so keep it chill and just try to add a little bit more activity, and if that doesn't work just let it go. It will end on its own.

I had a 2 1/2 week stall within a month of surgery. My surgeon said sometimes your body stops losing weight for a bit because it's just catching up. We are losing weight so quickly that sometimes your body needs a minute to adjust. I'm sure there is a scientific explanation but that made enough sense to me that I accepted it at face value. My weight loss just automatically started back up. I didn't change anything. If you work the program, it will work for you. Try not to stress yourself out over it. Which is so easy to say and not easy to do at all. I found that weighing less often and focusing less on the pounds lost and more on the other benefits has made this experience much more enjoyable for me.

I hear about people have stalls in losing weight , can anyone tell me how long a stall last ? & maybe some advice to help break it?
You might want to read a recent post I made on the subject. Stalls will happen to everyone at different times and for different lengths of time. It's part of the process of your body adjusting to losing weight.

Weight loss is not a natural process. Your body actively fights against losing weight as a protective measure against starvation. Surgery gives us a boost that sort of "circumvents" this process, but not completely. Your body still has to make many adjustments along the way. Stalls are not permanent (until you reach your nadir, and then find your new normal), so we do need to accept that our bodies will pause weight loss for days, weeks and for some people even months. Through all of this, we have to maintain a healthy diet and avoid going to extremes to try to "kick start" fat loss. Staying a good, nutritional course, maintaining the caloric deficit and adding in some exercise will win the day.

There are also still body composition changes going on, even when weight loss doesn't seem to be happening. I know it's hard, because we all look to the scale as representative of our progress, but it is much more than that.

Here's a link to my much longer write up about this: STALLS! - DON'T PANIC! if you are interested.

I'm sure I had stalls / stops/ reverses and anything else you can think of. I wasn't one of those people that weighed myself everyday - or multiple times a day. I have a friend that literally weighs herself 5-6 times a day. I only weigh myself at home once a month. I just refuse to be a victim of the scale. My scale is in my bathroom cabinet - under a lot of stuff (towels - wash cloths - hand towels) - I refuse to fold those things more than once. I only get the scale out once a month.

If you're exercising - muscle weighs more than fat. Just step away from the scale a week or so - then weigh yourself and see where you are then.

that is a great idea... I started weighing myself daily in the beginning when the weight loss was 1-2 pounds daily. I then moved to weekly but I also do measurements monthly. I might not have lost the pounds I wanted to in a month but it’s crazy how many inches have come off instead.

Back