• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 questions - advice, anybody?

Suzie

Hi, all. I've done a major re-vamping of my attitude, and no matter how sick they make me, I simply need to drink the protein drinks for the rest of my life. I've tried so many of them, and since the day after my surgery, the taste of ALL of them makes me gag. Oh, well. I've told myself to get used to it, and I'm doing better with the weight loss. Now for the questions:

1) I went for my 3-month post-op visit, and found that the reason I can't eat meats is because the opening from my stomach into my small intestine is too small. When I try to eat meats, they get painfully impacted, no matter how well I chew them. Even soft meats like tuna, salmon, and lunch meats. My doctor wants to go in endoscopically to correct this. I'm not even slightly afraid of the procedure, but I'm thinking that I should put if off for another few months. I mean, if I CAN eat more than a few bites, then I probably WILL. I'm not feeling a need to eat more, so why not wait another 3 months to do this procedure? Anyone else have this dilemma?

2) I know that we all need to know our BMI before surgery, to even qualify, but rather than a simple mathematical BMI, the gym that I go to has a cool little instrument that measures the electical impulses in your body, and calculates an exact BMI from that, which takes out mistakes due to higher / lower muscle mass, etc. Well, before I went in for surgery, I was at 41% BMI. Now, 3 months out and 40+ lbs lighter, I am at 39.4 % BMI. Basically, that means that I've lost 40 lbs of MUSCLE, not fat!!!!! I'm definitely feeling weak and lethargic, though I know I'm now getting in close to 80 grams of protein a day. To the touch, my body feels more like Jell-O, and not like the muscle-covered-with-fat that it used to feel like. WHAT THE HECK???? I walk a mile during my lunch break on most days, and I go to the gym at least once a day...sometimes twice. I do both cardio and strength training.

Any advice?

Hi Im Ingrid And although I am post op they could not do RNY due to messed up illium so I go back for sleeve SX around june this year. So far I have learned that straining everthing you eat is rule 1 . if it can't get through a strainer it cant stop you up. The miniscule passage they leave in place of your normal stomach passage is stubborn to everything except pureed foods that can ooze through the hole. No drinking till 30 min post eating purees. Hope this helps Hun....HANG IN THERE~!!!

Glad you decided to take protein good idea. I use Body Fortress Super advanced Whey which also contains Isolate, mix it with fat free milk. I recently switched to water with mine. It taste GREAT strawberry. vanillia or Chocolate. I no longer like chocolate after surgery, a blessing I suppose. its really cost like $16.00 and its a big 2 pound canister. I add equal to it and I love it.

The surgery you spoke of I had while I was in the hospital 2 days after my ByPass. I was bleeding and nolthing passing so my doctor took care of it then. Stay off meats untill you have surgery, use beans or some other protein, don't want to have a surgery to unblock a meat pile. Don't put off the surgery its not bad and you will be fine in a week or less.

Exercise I do just getting ready to start weight machines I ride a stationary bike but need help with my abs and arms so I too will be doing this. Daughter has a gym in her basement. I don't know my BMI but thats cool you have that to measure it. Also remember muscle weight more thern fat. Its hard to keep muscle on this program I know. Nip & tucks lol. Keep trying thats what I do. Good luck:eek:

Hi suzie i am like you , not so crazy about the protein drinks but have you checked out the receipes that kim has provided for us to try? She posted them on here and they are good they make the plain yucky taste of protein have massive improvement. I know others have had the same issues you've had , and you're doing right by still exercising and they say one day your plauteau will break loose and you'll see a big difference . You're building muscle i am sure you can see a difference in the way your clothes fit? That is how i get encouraged when the scales don't show a big difference i remind myself that now i can wear jeans with a zipper and not "moma jean's with elastic" and that encourages me or put on a blouse that is now too big that used to be tight. Check out those receipes and see if they help. I wouldn't put off that surgery if it's gonna make your life better and when you can have meats that adds alot more varitety to your life and diet. I have to drink my protein in small amounts because of not liking milk so much, i am gonna do like others have suggested and try to use water and see how that taste. Good luck and don't give up .
Donna

I would worry about not getting enough protein in if you can't tolerate soft meats like tuna and salmon. I would have the surgery soon and not wait.

Thanks, everyone.

Angel, I've actually decided to put off the surgery for at least 3 months. I'm not afraid of it at all...I just don't feel the need to eat more, and I don't want that temptation until I'm sure I've changed my habits. I'm sorry you had to have that procedure so soon after your surgery...I'm not nearly that bad - only get stopped up with meats.

Donna, I've seen some of the recipes, but I have so little room in my stomach that I'm doing all I can just to drink the shakes...never mind adding things like yogurt or fruits or whatever. Besides, I did try a few, and I'm just REALLY sensitive to the taste. So I just deal with it. As far as the muscle, unfortunately, I'm not building any. I have literally lost all my muscle, and have nothing but fat left. I'm hoping that eventually, my body will equalize out and start losing fat and building muscle, but I just feel so flabby and weak. Sigh. Continuing to exercise like there's no tomorrow, though.

Karenina, I get almost 80 grams of protein a day, between the shakes, the provolone cheese, and the cottage cheese. I don't really crave foods, and when I do, I allow myself to have a few bites. They generally don't satisfy me, so I stop eating them. That's a good thing, I guess!

Continued losing to all of us!

when they stretch the opening it is nt going to be a huge opening believe me. You still have to take 30 or so minutes to eat a meal and chew everything to consistency of apple sauce, it is just that yours is way too small so nothing is getting through immediately even fluids are probably sitting a little bit as they drain down. The will stretch it a tad bit but do not be afraid you will be able to eat too much, AIN'T gonna happen. They say to eat 3 oz of meat as one portion and I cannot eat 3 oz of meat, tuna etc. just fills me up and my outlet is fine as is the inlet at the esphogus. I suggest you hve the procedure now so you can get on the road to healing and getting your proteins in!!

Back