• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 Weeks Post RNY Questions

FarmGirlLife

Hey all! I had my bypass on 12/1 and am recovering well. Lost 21 lbs from day of surgery in the first week, and the last few days the scale has been climbing back up. I’m still 15 lbs down but a little discouraged to not be losing still. I’m guessing it was a lot of water weight and only being on fluids for 2 weeks, as I’m now on soft proteins, but I was wondering if this is typical.

Friends and hubby say I look like I’ve lost a lot more than the scale shows, and clothes are fitting a lot looser, so that’s a good thing.

My severe PCOS is the reason I had the surgery, as I eat healthy and am not a big eater already, so the diet has been a smooth transition since it’s how I eat anyway. I’m not even seeing a big decrease in volume of food from my normal pre op diet.

I’ve got about 110 lbs to lose, and am just worried things are going to pick back up in the loss department. I’m sure I’m just being impatient and paranoid, but would love some experience from those who’ve been there.

Thanks!

Welcome to the group! :) The scale bouncing in the first month out is normal. Actually, the scale bouncing so far for me nearly 6 months out is normal. Water retention, your body is still in shock (kind of ticked off too cause you let someone rearrange your parts) and everything is going through adjustments. Also, for bypass patients stop and start is VERY normal. I too struggled with this at first! It kind of rocks though...I would lose a little for a few weeks...then nothing for close to 2 weeks and think 'Oh I'm doing it wrong' and then boom! I would show a loss of like 5-10 lbs. kind of overnight. I started taking measurements during the weeks where I wasn't losing and oh man, your body is certainly adjusting during that time and the inches are still coming off! Sounds like your doing great though and that the surgery was successful, so congrats!

Get off that scale, lol that's what my Dr. Said, easier said than done though. I hate the scale and then I lose a few and love it, I kinda have a love hate relationship with it. I should really give it a name, this morning I didn't like it so I'm on a sugar free day, I know most days should be sugar fee but ugh, they are not, the pounds will come down it just takes time, and remember it took years to put on the weight and it will take time to come off, I wish it would all just melt away in one day but that is never going to happen good luck on your journey, we are all here for you

Get off that scale, lol that's what my Dr. Said, easier said than done though. I hate the scale and then I lose a few and love it, I kinda have a love hate relationship with it. I should really give it a name, this morning I didn't like it so I'm on a sugar free day, I know most days should be sugar fee but ugh, they are not, the pounds will come down it just takes time, and remember it took years to put on the weight and it will take time to come off, I wish it would all just melt away in one day but that is never going to happen good luck on your journey, we are all here for you
Sounds like good advice. I am 2 days post surgery and am wondering what to expect in the next couple of weeks regarding weight lost.

AN

Sounds like good advice. I am 2 days post surgery and am wondering what to expect in the next couple of weeks regarding weight lost.

AN

With the sleeve surgery, just slow and steady with a few frustrating plateaus in there. Hopefully your recovery is quick and mostly pain free and your able to heal enough to start your exercise program!

Back