• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 + years out, serious pain!

KRISTINAH

hi
I am new to this forum. ☺ I am in need of some help. 6 days ago, I started having some abdominal pain, just above my belly button up to just under my ribs. Was dull to medium at first. I didn't eat much till the next day at lunch. I took couple bites of food and was hit with the most intensive pain, doubled me over. Pain was bad enough that I went to the local ER. After giving me dose of morphine and doing a CT scan with contrast I was told that everything looked fine. Pain was gone, due to pain meds so they sent me home. Things are not ok. I haven't been able to eat solid food since and can only tolerate liquids. Been on protein shakes and broth pretty much since.
To top it off, I recently started a new job, which means new insurance, which doesn't kick in till July 1st. If that doesn't make it hard enough, i tried to get some advice, but the doctor that did my bypass retired a year ago. He was the only doctor in his office, so I am not able to get in touch with anyone that knows my case.

So, has anyone had anything like this happen? Does anyone have any advice? At this point, I am thinking that i am going to have to stick it out till the beginning of July to be able to see a doctor. It will probably take me going to a physical and being referred to someone. I just need to know if anyone has experienced this and might have some ideas.

Thank you for any help...:)

Pain is always an indicator of a problem. You should go back to the ER every time you have pain. Eventually they'll get better testing done on you and they SHOULD bring in a doctor who knows bariatrics, since they'd want to rule anything possible out.

My first postings to this group in March of 2019 were similar to yours. I was having pain and nausea, couldn't take more than two bites before I'd have to sit down and try not to vomit, or run to the bathroom. With the support of this group and ruling a lot of stuff out, I finally had a bariatric endoscopy at the same hospital in the same surgeon's office where I had RYGB in 2007. Like yours, my doctor had retired, but I got a very good replacement doc.

The endoscopy showed a loose staple and a broken stitch. The rad tech who did the endoscopy was also able to go in and fix those little things (I have color photos!) and from that moment on, no more pain or nausea.

Listen to your body and don't stop searching until you find the problem. I totally understand about your insurance, but wouldn't they dun you at least 90 days after coverage begins because it's a preexisting condition? You have a rebuilt digestive system & it needs tending to in a specific way. Don't take any risks. It might not be as simple a solution as mine was.

hi
I am new to this forum. ☺ I am in need of some help. 6 days ago, I started having some abdominal pain, just above my belly button up to just under my ribs. Was dull to medium at first. I didn't eat much till the next day at lunch. I took couple bites of food and was hit with the most intensive pain, doubled me over. Pain was bad enough that I went to the local ER. After giving me dose of morphine and doing a CT scan with contrast I was told that everything looked fine. Pain was gone, due to pain meds so they sent me home. Things are not ok. I haven't been able to eat solid food since and can only tolerate liquids. Been on protein shakes and broth pretty much since.
To top it off, I recently started a new job, which means new insurance, which doesn't kick in till July 1st. If that doesn't make it hard enough, i tried to get some advice, but the doctor that did my bypass retired a year ago. He was the only doctor in his office, so I am not able to get in touch with anyone that knows my case.

So, has anyone had anything like this happen? Does anyone have any advice? At this point, I am thinking that i am going to have to stick it out till the beginning of July to be able to see a doctor. It will probably take me going to a physical and being referred to someone. I just need to know if anyone has experienced this and might have some ideas.

I hope you’re feeling better. Like Diane said, you should go back to the ER every time you have pain like this. I’m a year out from surgery, but I went back 3 times in the months following surgery. I had a severe reaction the first time I tried to eat meat, a bowel obstruction and diverticulitis, you never can be too careful! Let us know how you got on x

I would be interested to know if you are doing any better or at least got to see a doctor?
I don't think I don't think she's going to answer you. So many people just come here, ask a question, and then disappear. But because they are members they can have all of our posts downloaded via email to them. I think some people do this because they have a problem with people who are obese. And even though it doesn't directly affect us, they might be getting a laugh at our expense. I don't know. But here's her profile activity:

hi

My sister has the same problem even 10 yrs out. She goes to the ER. She is on a constant regimen of pain meds. I actually told her about this group. To see if ANY one has the same issues. When she goes to the Dr. They say every thing looks good. But I know her pain is real. I pray that someone can figure out and find a solution to your pain soon. Good luck. I would love to see what they find out.

Back