• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 months after gastric sleeve surgery

Thanks for reaching out. I was 304 the day of my surgery on June 24th. I am now 277. I have lost 27 pounds so far. The first week, I lost twelve pounds. This past month has been slow. I see my surgeon on October 2nd. I am grateful I am loosing. I just thought it would be a quicker process. Im trying not to be discouraged.

It sounds like you’re losing an average of 2 pounds per week other than the first week. I think that’s great! Everyone goes through slow periods and plateaus. This weight loss process is a marathon, not a sprint, (don’t you hate when people say that LOL) and I know how frustrating it can be to want the weight to come off faster. Ensure you’re getting your protein, water, exercise (if you can), and rest! :) Sometimes people forget about resting and how important sleep can be for healing from the surgery, and letting our brains rest. Keep your head up, I think you’re doing fantastic! Pat yourself on the back for the marvelous work so far.

It sounds like you’re losing an average of 2 pounds per week other than the first week. I think that’s great! Everyone goes through slow periods and plateaus. This weight loss process is a marathon, not a sprint, (don’t you hate when people say that LOL) and I know how frustrating it can be to want the weight to come off faster. Ensure you’re getting your protein, water, exercise (if you can), and rest! :) Sometimes people forget about resting and how important sleep can be for healing from the surgery, and letting our brains rest. Keep your head up, I think you’re doing fantastic! Pat yourself on the back for the marvelous work so far.
Thank you for the encouragement! It was helpful.

Hi, Sheryl. I had the bypass in June. I lost the first week and then did not lose a single pound for 2 1/2 weeks. I was freaked out and worried and so mad. So, I totally understand where you're coming from. The weight will come off. Sometimes more slowly, sometimes quickly. Just keep following your meal plan. Protein first and make sure you get all your water in. They say we'll be losing weight for a year, so we've got plenty of time. Keep your spirits up. That's the most important thing.

Back