• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 months after surgery

Kym

I everyone, I had gastric bypass on April 26th. I think I'm doing good on my weight loss but thought the numbers would be higher. I average 1,000 calories per day and aim to hit 70 grams of protein per day. I walk 5-6 days a week a minimum of 1.5 miles - I really try to hit my 10K steps each day. Is there a typical rule of thumb on what is normal for weight loss? I already had one plateau period, which really surprised me that it happened already. Any information or guidance to get this moving is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone, have a great day!

Hi Kym, I had surgery on 05/04/17, and have lost 45lbs since surgery. I get frustrated because I won't lose any weight for 3 weeks, then lose 10lbs in one week. The 3 week stretches are hard! Everyone is different, so I'd just trust that my doctor will tell me when I should be losing more than I am. Good luck to you!

Hi I had my surgery 9/5/17. I lost 12lbs before my surgery, and have lost 44 lbs since the surgery. I too have been hitting plateaus. I hit one at 240 for about 3-4 weeks and have hit one again at 220. I had a the sleeve surgery, because they found polops in my stomach so I couldn't have the bypass. I think we both are discouraged because we expected to lose the wait more rapidly. I have to remind myself I didn't put it on overnight and to be patient with myself. We can do this we just have to keep going when it gets hard.

Hi there, I had the sleeve done June 13, so I'm at the 7 month mark. I found that each person's weight loss journey is different. Try to focus on all the weight you have lost up to this point. Hang in there.

Hi I had my surgery 9/5/17. I lost 12lbs before my surgery, and have lost 44 lbs since the surgery. I too have been hitting plateaus. I hit one at 240 for about 3-4 weeks and have hit one again at 220. I had a the sleeve surgery, because they found polops in my stomach so I couldn't have the bypass. I think we both are discouraged because we expected to lose the wait more rapidly. I have to remind myself I didn't put it on overnight and to be patient with myself. We can do this we just have to keep going when it gets hard.

Plateaus are so frustrating, I completely agree! o_O They seem to be very common, both when losing weight naturally and in the WLS community. I agree with Tracy in that while you plateau, your body seems to be adjusting and you may be losing inches even when the scale stalls for awhile. I also agree with Christine in that everyone's journey is different. I'm encouraged by you saying you didn't put it on overnight! Patience is supposed to be a virtue, but I think only if it doesn't drive you crazy first! :eek: I think it's great that in 4 months you've dropped so much weight. As a sleeve patient it is fairly slow and steady, but most are and you are still on track for more success! Awesome! Congrats on your progress so far, I hope it keeps melting off! :D

I everyone, I had gastric bypass on April 26th. I think I'm doing good on my weight loss but thought the numbers would be higher. I average 1,000 calories per day and aim to hit 70 grams of protein per day. I walk 5-6 days a week a minimum of 1.5 miles - I really try to hit my 10K steps each day. Is there a typical rule of thumb on what is normal for weight loss? I already had one plateau period, which really surprised me that it happened already. Any information or guidance to get this moving is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone, have a great day!
Hey there, read your post. Remember your just fresh out of having the bypass, if you think about it dour months is not a long time. But, you are doing great, even if the scale doesn't show it. You exercise routine is so necessary and your doing it. Also, your protein intake is where it should be. Just relax a little and give yourself a pat on the back for getting this far. The numbers will come. I'm at the six month mark and just keeping saying I'm going to lose more weight on the second half of my journey than in the first. Keep believing you can.

Back