• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 months of dieting.........

Ok I did all the requirements and I have to have the surgery because its the only way ti take care of my hyenia hernia and will also help my GERD and yes it will help loose weight- my dr wont fill out the paperwork- I have dieted all my life and the hernia and the GERD are an awful problem as well as arthritis and burcitis and fibromaligia- (not best spelling, I know) I cant hardly breath and my legs give out after one store- so now I really have to do 3 months of a SUPERVISED diet- really!!! OMG!!! Did anyone else get frustrated with the insurance process- like Im not already stressed enough!!!! UGH!!!!!!!

Some insurance companies require six months of a supervised weight loss program. Sometimes the Doctor requires it. It is worth it in the long run. I have Fibromyalgia too and it has helped me to some degree having lost 50 pounds now. I no longer need a walker except for long distance walking. I have arthritis too and had to have three hernias repaired when they did the surgery. My Doctor refuses to call it a diet - he says "diets don't work" and that is why he refers to it as a weight loss program. All your requirements will be met before you know it. Good luck. Joy

Its just when your heavy all your life and have all these other issues- 3 more months of pain just sucks so I can go see my dr to tell him Im not loosing any weight! Just frustrated with the whole process!! But thanks for the well wishes! Im hoping some of my other issues will lessen as I take the weight off!

Tammi, I was one appointment from completing my requirements, when my insurance changed the game and required a 6 month weight loss record with my doctor. Talk about frustrating, but it did go by, quicker than I thought. Once I got the approval, it was only three weeks until I had my surgery. I haven't looked back since. Stay strong and remember why you're going through this in the first place. You will have a better life.

Frank

:cool:

I feel better since I had the 1st visit today and the dr knows how his nurse was jerking me around for 2 weeks- so I made him do the paperwork as I was there and will each time I go - i told him come that last visit- I want all the paperwork DONE!!! He understands now!! I can only imagine your frustration!! They sure dont make it easy do they- but my ins spent over 24,000.00 just in meds alone last year- uh hello- that would have paid for surgery!! Dont they get it!!! I just have to get thru this and get my date- then Im just gonna be scared cause I am such a lousy patient!! Hate pain!!!

I am in the pre-surgery process. My doctors requirement is that I lose 5% of my weight prior to surgery. I am assuming that this will also meet insurance requirements, as his NP told me that their patients are very rarely rejected by insurance, as long as they follow all the Dr. requirements. I am doing well with my weight loss, in fact, now I am wondering what will happen if I return to the Dr. in 4 weeks and have lost a substantial amount of weight. If my BMI is lowered, will the insurance company then reject me and say I don't need the surgery? I am a worrier, and this has me worried. I have previously lost up to 70 lbs at a time, but it always comes back. Does anyone know how insurance companies look at pre-surgical weight loss?

Back