• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 months post op can't keep food down and vomiting

Anthony Rice

Hello to everyone,
I am having trouble with eating. At first it was mental which is to a certain point, but the texture of food is really displeasing to my palet... but the main thing is i been on pretty much liquid diet since my surgery and haven't made much progression in my diet. Now at this point i have a lot of acid build up causing me to be very nauseated daily and throwing up basically nothing. Any info would gladly be appreciated.

I am sorry that you are having a difficult time with eating and keeping food down. Have you spoken to your surgeon about this? That would be my first suggestion, just to make sure that there isn't a medical/surgical cause for the problems you are having. What have you tried when you were advancing your diet from liquids to solid foods? I have found that some foods that I loved before surgery I don't tolerate as well afterwards. I was looking forward to eating scrambled eggs when I advanced my diet, but it took 4 months to tolerate eggs, and now it is only the hard boiled eggs I can eat comfortably. One thing that helped me out significantly after transitioning off thin liquids was banana smoothies. I just had the banana and milk initially, then later added yoghurt for additional flavors. That helped with the acid build up for me also. I also take Zantac for acid control which really does help. Another thing I have done infrequently for the nausea I had months ago was to eat one or two saltine crackers. It is hard to know what foods you would be able to tolerate as everyone seems to be different with what they can have or not have. Just try one food type at a time, this way if it doesn't agree with you then you will know which food to avoid at this time. Somethings take longer to be able to tolerate, and somethings may not be tolerated at all. Another thing that helped for me was to have soup, and you can advance your diet slowly by adding in cooked veggies or meat like chicken, and having soft food that is not pureed. I hope that this helps a little.

Hello to everyone,
I am having trouble with eating. At first it was mental which is to a certain point, but the texture of food is really displeasing to my palet... but the main thing is i been on pretty much liquid diet since my surgery and haven't made much progression in my diet. Now at this point i have a lot of acid build up causing me to be very nauseated daily and throwing up basically nothing. Any info would gladly be appreciated.
Hi Anthony, are you still having trouble with vomiting and eating? I am 5 months out now and still having trouble with vomiting, the dr did find a stricture (narrowing) in my asophagus thou and I had to do an EDG to open it up but it also caused an ulcer so now I am on meds for that. Some days I think I don't get all my food in or I wait too long to get it in cause I feel very hungry and then get sick, or when I wake up in the morning I feel sick.

I hope things are better for you. I am having the very same issue, but the type of surgery I had is different. I hope all is well and you have received medical help.

Back