• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 months postop!

Hi everyone....I haven't been on here for awhile, but it is because I am living life, and happy. I am down 48 pounds now :) I did struggle in the beginning, found it hard to eat the pureed foods, then the ground, never want to see an egg on my plate ever again....then I decided that I needed to do it on my terms. I needed to eat things that were not necessarily on my list of foods, not pureed or mashed. I chewed well, ate slowly, used a baby spoon, and it worked for me. I added fruit and greek yogurt to my protein drinks, even applesauce. I loved it, and still do. I needed to do something or I was going to fail myself and I could not do that. I scheduled when I drank fluids, what I drank and when, and forced myself to drink it all with in a certain amount of time, it worked for me. I had to do what I needed to to succeed and feel good about what I was doing!
I work in a hospital with doctors, nurses, and everyone in between. It feels good to hear them tell me I look great, even my skin, hair, and coloring have impressed them, not just my weightloss. I have so much energy that some days I can't stand myself...lol. This journey I have chosen....I would do it all again in a heartbeat!
I am 3 months out from surgery now and pretty much eat what I want. There are still some things that my tummy doesn't like, but I will try them again someday. I have also put away all my regular size plates in my house. I only eat off small salad plates, and measure everything I eat, even measure and put in separate containers the foods I take for lunch at work everyday. I am currently eating about 1 cup of food per meal, although my dietician would like me to be up to 1 1/2 cups a meal. I am not going to let them push me into something I am not ready for yet, and I am not ready for that much food.
Food always controlled me before my surgery, now I have taken the control and I feel so much better about myself. I hope everyone is doing well and I will try to stop by more.=!;)

That is so awsome!!!!:D You are working the meal plans as intended, your body knows what it can handle so kudos to you for not pushing it and taking charge. Keep up the good work and again..... You are AWSOME!!!!!! :cool: Tom

Your post is such an inspiration! I am 11 days post-op and am struggling every moment! I needed some encouragement from someone who has beeen there not so long ago and I appreciate that. I am not getting my protein in - it has been a horrible struggle. Hopefully in 3 days I can start some soft foods that will make me feel a little better. My back and chest hurts all the time from gas (I guess) and meds don't help. It sounds like you have done great and I am very proud of you!

Jgriffin-It's not unusual to not get all of your protein in early after surgery but get as much as you can. Ounce for ounce your protein drinks count towards your daily fluid goals. This might help you drink more protein if you know you can substitute it for some of your fluids. This information was given to me directly from my nutritionist and surgeon.

Hello People! I am 17 days post op...I purchased some Unjury Protein Powders and i've been able to mix these in with either, Sugar Free Pudding, Cream of Chicken Soup, Cream of Wheat & Greek Yogurt, plus I drink 2-3 EAS Myoplex Lite Protein drinks, which have 20 g of Protein in them. I'm telling you, drinking/eating the protein makes all the difference! I don't feel hungry, no cravings and I feel great! I feel better than I did before surgery....no aches or pains! You also need the protein to help you loose the weight. I'm loosing about a pound a day, walking a mile a day and will soon be adding some weight training, for toning. Next week, I get to move myself up to "soft" foods, and i'm looking forward to that. Trying to find a cheaper/better/soy protein powder, because I feel that I will need to use some for the rest of my life to make sure I get the protein in. I have not experienced any pain or discomfort since surgery.

Jules, You are doing fantastic, that is how I felt too and also had similar weight loss and I walked and walked and walked, and napped and napped and napped. I still do protien supplaments in either shakes or protien bars some days both. Keep it up. :cool: Tom

Jules-Sounds like you're doing great! Just be careful not to short change yourself on the protein. The Unjury protein powder is a medical grade protein and you would be hard pressed to fine anything better, you get what you pay for. As you progress through the different phases of your meal plan you will need less protein powder to meet you daily protein intake so you will not be using as much as you are using now.

I absolutely love your positive attitude!!! It is so encouraging to me!!! You have really motivated me so much today!! Thanks for posting!
melissa

This all makes me feel better!! My biggest struggle is getting off the couch and doing anything including walking. I just feel sick all the time,it's not a unbearable pain I guess I just have a low tolerance for aching and can't seem to get my mind off of it. I'm just starting my 4th week, and I'm doing better than I expected but I just feel like nothing has changed in my kind besides more frequent stomach aches.

Trish-The next sound you hear is me kicking you in the butt to get you off that couch girlfriend *LOL* I'm sure part of the struggle is low energy, this is normal for 4 weeks post surgery. You are going to feel extrememly tired for another month or so. Your energy will start coming back during the 3rd month and by the 4th month you'll be zooming around :) For now make sure you are getting a full nights sleep, plus naps when you need them.

You can always ask your doctor for pain medication. You really need to get up and move around every little while. It will help ease the pain and make you stronger. Let us know how you are doing from day to day :) :)

Great to hear Jules! I have started using the protein bars now....3 mths out from surgery. I have one everyday for breakfast while driving to work. Sam's Club has an awesome price and they sell many different brands. My favs right now are the Zone Bars. I still eat lots of cottage cheese, usually everyday, with lunch or supper. 12g of protein in 1/2c. isnt to bad! One tip for when you start eating ground meats....I use ground turkey or chicken at all times, even before surgery. I was craving tacos, so many times for supper or lunch I had made a batch of taco meat and added some cheese and sour cream, so yummy. Now I am able to add tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and once in a while I crush up a taco shell and add that also. The ground meats are also good on a pizza made with a tortilla for the crust! I even make a pizza with ground chicken, and finely chopped broccoli, using alfredo sauce. Its one of my granddaughters fav meals when she comes over now...lol.
I still use the shakes, altho not often, but when I do I use it as a treat. I love the chocolate powder, with some greek yogurt, and a banana, and ice added. I find they taste better to me if I add some splenda to them. We have so many options now, we do not need to be stuck eating the foods we used to. There are new ways to make them and still be able to enjoy them.

Hey Trish!!!! I just noticed we had surgery on the same day. I think that's pretty neat to have someone who has the same surgery on the same day. I feel a lot like you do. Its hard to get the protein in and especially now that my taste and tolerance for things is different after the surgery. I can't stand the shakes that I liked so well before ans because of complications I am still on mainly liquids right now. I do try pureed foods and so far today I can hold some down. My dr said I need to be patient and I constantly remind myself that I just had major surgery. I willingly allowed someone to cut off most of my stomach and some intestine then rearrange them. Who am I super woman? We have to find a way to get the protein in and give ourselves time to heal. Also I have found the more you get up and do something or go somewhere you love to go the better you will feel even if it hurts at that moment. How are you doing?

Thank you for posting your story. I am also just about 3 months post-op, but different surgery. I needed some inspiration today. My meal can only be 4 oz total. So I have 2oz protein and 2 oz veggies for dinner. I usually have a protein shake for breakfast and some yogurt and 2 oz of fruit for lunch. Sometimes if I have leftovers from dinner I wil bring that for lunch. Up to this point it has worked for me, but I got off track last week and fel like I am starting over again. I didn't think I would feel this way so early. Your postive attitude gives me hope that I can do this the way I am suppose to. Since that is what worked, that is what I am shooting for.

way to go ladybicknase! i am only 1 week post-op and feeling great. it's a good feeling to know that we are now in control of our eating and health. your post inspired me!

Lizzie!!
That is really cool that we have the same date!! I'm doing pretty well, went in for my first check up today! I feel like I'm losing weight really slowly compared to other patients I've only lost 20 so far. But like you said were not super woman and it's only been a month. I moved off liquids a few days before I was supposed to because I just constantly felt sick without food. Pudding is now my best friend. And I've been doing a lot of research on different protein products. There are tones of different things to get and my doctor gave me permission to eat protein bars again, so that's good! And should make things a bit easier. The whey protein shakes sold at rite aid aren't too bad I like the French vanilla icecream flavor and got silk instead of milk which is delicious!!!
How are you feeling now?!

Hey Trish. I am OK. I am just now trying pureed foods and some solids. I went with my husband to a mexican food place and when I went before I ordered refried beans and cheese and I did OK with a few bits. Well this time I thought I would be brave and try shredded chicken and cheese..... NOT a good idea. I felt awful and if I didn't know better I would have thought I was having a heart attack. It was awful.. I have always used the silk milk and I used to love the strawberry protein shake. To me it tasted like a strawberry milk shake. But now I don't like it. I have heard of putting the vanilla in your coffee but I have not tried it yet but maybe I will. I have been putting the grape protein shot in the raspberry Chrystal light and diluting it down with ice and so far its OK. I am still having respiratory problems but other than that I can't complain. I actually gained 20 pounds right after the surgery and my dr said that it was from the air and extra fluids they injected me with. If I don't count that 20 pounds then I have only lost about 25 pounds so you are doing good. We didn't put the wait on over night so its not going to come off over night. How much are you able to hold down now? I can still only hold down an oz 2 if I'm lucky.

Whoohoo! What an inspiring post! I am so glad to hear of your success and happiness. I too hope to have the same feeling once I am all healed up. I am a bit concerned. Everyone is talking about Protein. I don't recall my doc mentioning protein right away. When do you typically start the protein shake? I am just doing a liquid vitamin for now. Thanks for the encouragement!

Upnorthmom...Protein protein protein! It was in all my paper work and conversations with the surgion and NP! You need to get about 100 g of protein daily...for the rest of your life! It helps in the healing process, hair loss, muscle growth and fat loss as we are going through our journey. I have to say, I am very surprised you haven't heard of protein with your surgery. The same evening of my surgery, in the hospital I was put on a high protein liquid diet. Isopure liquid @ 40 grams of protein each. I had 2 a day + added 20 grams of protein in a chicken broth, and plenty of liquids. This was my diet for 2 weeks. I am 1 month out and on soft foods now, but still using the protein drinks (I use Pure Protein Shakes) to suplment my protein intake with what ever amount i'm getting from my food. Speak to your NP or Nut and ask about the protein...I am really surprised it was not mentioned to you....re-read your Nutritional pack to see what you should be eating/drinking now.

Thanks Jules. I am going to call and clarify on Monday. I was only given a list of liquids I could drink....mostly clear and then progress to smooth textured foods such as yogert or cottage cheese. Dosnt say anything about shakes, protein ect. This worries me. Perhaps it was discussed more when I had my lap bad procedure two years ago and I have forgotten. Thanks for the help! Now you have me worried and they will not be in until tomorrow! :)

Back