• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 Week Post Op Food

I'm interested in what everybody else is eating. I'm on beans, eggs, yogurt, tuna, and it getting boring. What is everybody else eating I'd really like to know.

I'm interested in what everybody else is eating. I'm on beans, eggs, yogurt, tuna, and it getting boring. What is everybody else eating I'd really like to know.

WELCOME to the Forum!!!

What you are eating depends on how long it has been since you had bariatric surgery. Did your surgeon or nutritionist at his office give you a list of foods to eat? I had a list which added more foods as time progressed. From the foods you mention I would guess you are from 3 to 5 weeks post op.? At that time in my journey, I was also allowed applesauce, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, salmon, all condiments in addition to the foods you mentioned.... so I mixed my salmon and tuna with Miracle Whip, you may prefer mayonnaise. Keep in mind to not stretch your new tiny tummy. A couple tablespoons at a time was all I was allowed to eat at that time and any more would make me sick to my stomach. Many people on this forum drink protein drinks, but my surgeon wanted me to eat food rather than the drinks after 3 months post op because he said many peope drink the protein drinks then feel hungry and eat food too and end up gaining weight. However if you have a nutritious protein drink as a meal then it can work out well. Check with your surgeon's office for his recommendations on all this.

Good Luck, :)

Cheyenne

I eat chicken, fish , pork, cottage cheese, mashed potatos tuna, just try one thing at a time to see how your tummy reacts, I have had no problems when I cook dinner for my hubby I eat the meat, just make sure you chew it well. I will be three weeks out tomorrow and i am doing great!

I am also 3 weeks out and was told no carbs pretty much at all. One thing I really like and seems to settle well with me is to cook ground turkey, drain it and add taco seasoning mix according to the directions. I think melt cheese on top. It's really good. :) Chicken does not settle with me at all and fish is pretty "iffy." I have to be extra careful and eat it very slowly but the ground turkey is great.

I am also 3 weeks out and was told no carbs pretty much at all. One thing I really like and seems to settle well with me is to cook ground turkey, drain it and add taco seasoning mix according to the directions. I think melt cheese on top. It's really good. :) Chicken does not settle with me at all and fish is pretty "iffy." I have to be extra careful and eat it very slowly but the ground turkey is great.

Hi Gibby, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Protein is the key to successful weight loss. Your ground turkey recipe sounds yummy :) I am lucky that I love most all meat and fish and eggs too, but even when you love it you can get tired of eating the same thing over every day so it's great to think of different ways to prepare your meat. I like to take a lean beef or pork loin, or chicken/turkey breast and season it with pepper and garlic and cook it in the oven in a covered pan at a low heat with a lot of broth covering it for hours til it falls apart tender. Then I put disposable gloves on and take every morsel of fat off the meat and put my shredded meat in bowls in the freezer to be used as I need it. I also like to put mild salsa over my meat. Green beans and stewed tomatoes have very little carbs and calories and I ate those 2 veggies almost every day for a year, with my meat or fish.

Good Luck to you!

Cheyenne :cool:

Cheyenne is always here!

I second all her advice and comments.

Protein is the key to successful weight loss and will always be the key to long term maintenance. No matter what make sure you get all your daily protein in each day however the way you need to do that. In the early go you will use shakes to supplement. I still use shakes even now in maintenance. If I find I am creeping up a little (I don't let it creep up more than a couple or three pounds) I cut back down to 1200 to 1500 calories, cut back carbs under 100grams and make sure I get my 80 to 90 grams of protein. Don't overdo the protein since you could develop kidney stones from it. Average the 80 to 90 per day. It is OK if you have more on one particular day but don't overdo it.

Best wishes,

Ralp

It's hard to get the protein in when you are less than a month out. I can't stomach but one shake a day. (32 grams) And have never been a big meat eater. Will try some of the recipes I see on here. :)

It's hard to get the protein in when you are less than a month out. I can't stomach but one shake a day. (32 grams) And have never been a big meat eater. Will try some of the recipes I see on here. :)

Gibby,

Yes it is hard. But do your best.

Eventually you will find as you progress it does get a little bit easier.

Protein is critical to success.

Work at it.

You will be fine.

Many of us in the early stages couldn't get all the protein in each day. You will find that you will get there; might take a few weeks, a couple of months.

Also important is to drink, sip sip sip.

Ralph

Thanks everyone! I don't have much problem with drinking even though I don't get 64 oz. I do get fairly close most days. I drank 2 protein shakes today so that should help. Feel about half sick from it but I got it down. LOL

Thanks everyone! I don't have much problem with drinking even though I don't get 64 oz. I do get fairly close most days. I drank 2 protein shakes today so that should help. Feel about half sick from it but I got it down. LOL

You have to find a protein drink that you like.

I enjoy Premier Shakes. They come in Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry.

I also enjoy the Isopure Grape flavor; although I haven't had any lately. I favor Premier Shakes.

Find something you enjoy.

You shouldn't be "half sick".

Also, as you move to foods pureed than more normal foods (much smaller portions !!! ) find a protein powder that you can use. I have never tried any of them. However, many folks here say they can be added to foods and that they do not change the flavor. Try posting a "please recommend a protein powder" and see what kind of feedback you get.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I do have some protein powder that I was using in my shakes. I quit because it would clump up and get gross. I will start putting it into my food and see how it is. Thanks for the advice. I have tried about every flavor of protein shake out there and the Muscle Milk chocolate is the only one I can get down. I have to have it on ice and add a little water in order to get it down but I am doing it. Thank you so much for your responses. :)

Hi, I am a Vegan and if you look at the grocery store in the vegan/vegetarian sections they have vegan patties and crumbles that resemble meat but aren't and they have a lot of protein.

I do have some protein powder that I was using in my shakes. I quit because it would clump up and get gross. I will start putting it into my food and see how it is. Thanks for the advice. I have tried about every flavor of protein shake out there and the Muscle Milk chocolate is the only one I can get down. I have to have it on ice and add a little water in order to get it down but I am doing it. Thank you so much for your responses. :)

I also love the Premier protein shakes because they are high in protein and low in sugar. They also taste pretty good. Try mixing a chocolate or vanilla shake into some decaf coffee. Yum! The protein powder I love best is Unjury. They make a chicken soup flavor that is wonderful!

Back