• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 weeks post op Plateau

Yeah, I lost a ton the first couple weeks (35-40lbs). Your just not getting the nutrients your body needs going into surgery and immediately after. Then you start getting the nutrients you need and your muscles begin to recover and build your energy levels back up. For me between week 2-4 I only lost maybe 4lbs during this transition of recovering from surgery and adjusting to a new diet. It's normal and really you don't want to loose too quickly because that is not healthy either and harder for your skin to rebound from.

STALLS EXPLAINED - DON'T PANIC
renderTimingPixel.png

Disclaimer 1: Before following any information provided by myself or anyone else on the internet consult your doctor before making any change to your diet or program.

Disclaimer 2: There are always exceptions. Each person's biology is unique and while what I share here applies to a vast majority of people who get weight loss surgery, it will not apply to 100% of the people 100% of the time.

FIRST MONTH (ish) STALLS

While not seeing the weight on the scale go down can be very frustrating
, the truth is regardless of what the scale reads, your body is burning fat and changing composition during the initial weeks following surgery.

When you go in for surgery, you are pumped full of fluids during your entire stay. Fluids are heavy and there are a couple of different outcomes that people can experience:
  1. Some people lose a bunch of weight the first week or two and then slow down. This weight loss is not all body fat, it is mostly fluid weight. Often, post-surgery we go into ketosis because we are very low carb, usually just drinking fluids and protein drinks. Ketosis will increase the amount of fluid your body expels during this period of time, and many people are also slightly dehydrated during the first couple of weeks, even if they are getting the recommended 64oz of water per day. Somewhere between weeks 2-4 our hydration starts catching up and we start adding in purees and such. This often kicks us out of ketosis and between not expelling as much fluid, we are retaining more water again, which acts as a temporary counter-balance to the fat loss, but that fat loss is still happening. You are probably only consuming 500-800 calories a day at this point - your body is going to burn fat (and some muscle).

2. Some people don't see an immediate drop in the scale the first couple of weeks. Again, this is usually associated with fluid weight and your body healing and adjusting, but you are still going to be burning fat.

3. Your body is going through a major biologic change and sometimes things just aren't going to progress the "average" way. Remember there are people above and below the average and everything along that curve is normal! It's normal to go slow and it's normal to go fast. Most of us are somewhere in between.
There are certainly variations to those two scenarios, but those are what I've seen quite often.

WHAT TO DO: Step away from the scale and concentrate on continuing to follow your post-surgery diet guidelines as closely as possible. Don't do anything extreme with your diet or exercise. Do what's been recommended by your doctor.

You've got this! Keep on track and things will progress.

Trying not to be discouraged or have "buyers remorse" but I have not lost anything this week. What should I expect in terms of patterns or weight loss?
My friend and I actually gained this week as do many others. Research 3 week gain after bariatric surgery. I had the sleeve and she had bypass with her gaining 4 lbs the third week and me gaining 3lbs. Both lost it all plus some the very next week. We were told by our doctors that our weight might fluctuate for the next 2-3 weeks as our bodies adjust to solids. She is a month ahead of me and her weight slowed for a couple weeks and then at week 6 it picked back up and she’s losing a good bit each week now. It’s upsetting when you feel like a week was wasted but I’m hopeful we will both get over this hump :)

STALLS EXPLAINED - DON'T PANIC
renderTimingPixel.png

Disclaimer 1: Before following any information provided by myself or anyone else on the internet consult your doctor before making any change to your diet or program.

Disclaimer 2: There are always exceptions. Each person's biology is unique and while what I share here applies to a vast majority of people who get weight loss surgery, it will not apply to 100% of the people 100% of the time.

FIRST MONTH (ish) STALLS

While not seeing the weight on the scale go down can be very frustrating
, the truth is regardless of what the scale reads, your body is burning fat and changing composition during the initial weeks following surgery.

When you go in for surgery, you are pumped full of fluids during your entire stay. Fluids are heavy and there are a couple of different outcomes that people can experience:
  1. Some people lose a bunch of weight the first week or two and then slow down. This weight loss is not all body fat, it is mostly fluid weight. Often, post-surgery we go into ketosis because we are very low carb, usually just drinking fluids and protein drinks. Ketosis will increase the amount of fluid your body expels during this period of time, and many people are also slightly dehydrated during the first couple of weeks, even if they are getting the recommended 64oz of water per day. Somewhere between weeks 2-4 our hydration starts catching up and we start adding in purees and such. This often kicks us out of ketosis and between not expelling as much fluid, we are retaining more water again, which acts as a temporary counter-balance to the fat loss, but that fat loss is still happening. You are probably only consuming 500-800 calories a day at this point - your body is going to burn fat (and some muscle).

2. Some people don't see an immediate drop in the scale the first couple of weeks. Again, this is usually associated with fluid weight and your body healing and adjusting, but you are still going to be burning fat.

3. Your body is going through a major biologic change and sometimes things just aren't going to progress the "average" way. Remember there are people above and below the average and everything along that curve is normal! It's normal to go slow and it's normal to go fast. Most of us are somewhere in between.
There are certainly variations to those two scenarios, but those are what I've seen quite often.

WHAT TO DO: Step away from the scale and concentrate on continuing to follow your post-surgery diet guidelines as closely as possible. Don't do anything extreme with your diet or exercise. Do what's been recommended by your doctor.

You've got this! Keep on track and things will progress.

Thank you for your advice. Really appreciate the support.

Back