• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

4 days after surgery

Listen to your body. Rest. If you don't already have help, find someone who can come over to nurse you. Especially, SIP WATER constantly. You can squeeze citrus or add flavorings. Make sure you get all the vitamins, minerals and dietary supplements your body needs. You're right on schedule. Now, give yourself a break. Before you know it, you'll feel like a champ! You're running a marathon, not sprints.

Get as much rest as you possibly can, it is good for healing. It takes a while to get back your energy but you will get there. And I agree with Diane - stay hydrated and take your supplements.

I struggled with super low energy for about 2 weeks. When I was able to move onto pureed foods my energy would come and go. I was about 4 weeks out when my husband was starting to worry about my low energy, but I reminded him that the body has just gone through a massive operation, a change in digestion, and drastically reduced calories. Rest, drink your protein, drink some broth, walk a little, and rest some more. Your energy will return.

I struggled with super low energy for about 2 weeks. When I was able to move onto pureed foods my energy would come and go. I was about 4 weeks out when my husband was starting to worry about my low energy, but I reminded him that the body has just gone through a massive operation, a change in digestion, and drastically reduced calories. Rest, drink your protein, drink some broth, walk a little, and rest some more. Your energy will return.
It really is normal to have post surgery fatigue and can vary from about a week to several weeks. Guess I've had enough surgeries to know that its true, but I'm sure you can google this and will see the is such a thing a post-surgery fatigue. Partly due to anesthesia and partly because it is your body's mechanism to get you to rest so that you can heal better.

I'm 5 days out and I get fatigued quickly but not nap-tired. I let myself sleep in the mornings until I wake up naturally and I am eating my fulls every 2-3 hours with proteins. I've been sleeping on my sides since 2nd night in hospital because my pain has been strangely non-existent, so I'm getting a very good night's sleep.

But surgery kicks your a**! The anesthesia, blood loss, meds, constant waking in the hospital... It's gong to take some time.

Last edited:
Back