• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

4 weeks post op

Beckyd30

I am at just over 4 weeks post op (bypass) and had to have my first stricture opened. I am not tolerating foods or protein drinks very well, even drinking water is a chore.
Is there anyone who has had a stricture and what you ate after is was dilated back open? I can't figure out how to get my protein in cause the shakes taste way to sweet for me. I need suggestions, please.
I start back to work on Monday, and may have to go to half days for a bit to get back into the swing of things.

I have now had 2 strictures re-opened and they found a tiny ulcer. I have an appt with the Psych Doc tomorrow cause everytime I try to eat anything with protein my body tries to get rid of it one way or another. If I can't get it under control I will have to be put back in the hospital for controlled diet and protein thru an IV. Has anyone else had this happen?

I have now had 2 strictures re-opened and they found a tiny ulcer. I have an appt with the Psych Doc tomorrow cause everytime I try to eat anything with protein my body tries to get rid of it one way or another. If I can't get it under control I will have to be put back in the hospital for controlled diet and protein thru an IV. Has anyone else had this happen?

What kind of protein did you like to eat before the surgery? Do you like fish? I practically lived on fish -flaky cooked white fish, and even tuna and salmon mixed with miracle whip or mayo. I also was allowed 2 crackers per meal, to put the tuna or salmon on. I wasnt allowed meats until the 7th week.... I see you're from St. Louis. I was born and raised there and lived there until my husband got a job in Wash DC and we moved to Virginia about 25yrs ago.

I can't figure out how to get my protein in cause the shakes taste way to sweet for me. I need suggestions, please.
I start back to work on Monday, and may have to go to half days for a bit to get back into the swing of things.

I know Unjury makes a plain unflavored protein powder, a chicken flavored protein soup powder as well as a cheese sauce. You may want to try those.
I can tell you first hand the chicken soup is amazing. I have not tried the cheese sauce and the unflavored can be added to broth, coffee, tea and added in other foods and drinks.

sorry for you problems. I didn't have any issues but I can tell you that the Unjury is pretty good. My newest recipe faze is sour cream mixed with unjury chicken.
best wishes

I joke and say that 5 out of 6 people have no problems with this surgery. So I must be #6, on 11/14/13 I was readmitted to the hospital beyond severly dehydrated and all my levels were so low one more day was most likely all I had left. I wasn't able to tolerate protein ingested because it hurt - so I stopped eating and was barely drinking. They got me on Potassium and on the 15th I got a 2 line PICC line in my right arm to give me TPN (liquid protein) 24 hours a day and for about 3 days they had to give me potassium as well in the other line. They got me eating again and let me go home on the 18th with home health care nursing and I was given TPN for 12 hrs a day until early January. I am happy to say that even though I haven't lost as much as most on their 5 month anniversary - I am healthy at 242.6 from 316 starting weight. I finally got my PICC line out and I feel great.

I joke and say that 5 out of 6 people have no problems with this surgery. So I must be #6, on 11/14/13 I was readmitted to the hospital beyond severly dehydrated and all my levels were so low one more day was most likely all I had left. I wasn't able to tolerate protein ingested because it hurt - so I stopped eating and was barely drinking. They got me on Potassium and on the 15th I got a 2 line PICC line in my right arm to give me TPN (liquid protein) 24 hours a day and for about 3 days they had to give me potassium as well in the other line. They got me eating again and let me go home on the 18th with home health care nursing and I was given TPN for 12 hrs a day until early January. I am happy to say that even though I haven't lost as much as most on their 5 month anniversary - I am healthy at 242.6 from 316 starting weight. I finally got my PICC line out and I feel great.

You're very lucky you got to the hospital in time for them to help you. Glad you are now doing so well! :)

Cheyenne

Wow.

So sorry for all the trouble you are having.

Stay on top of it.

As to protein, have you tried Isopure grape flavored. It is a clear liquit protein 15 grams per 8 ounces. I use it all the time. I like the grape flavor very much. There are a couple of other flavors.

Best wishes for improvement in your day to day journey,

Ralph

I tried Isopure and New Whey, but they have an after taste that made me sick. I am focusing more on getting my protein in my food, but I found the Smoothie King Gladiator has 45 grams of protein even in the small (20oz) and they have medium (32oz) on sale every Friday for $5, which rocks. I am getting closer to the 60 grams a day then I was a month after surgery. I just have to find some exericise to add to my routine to get the pounds to drop off even faster. I am going to try to get back into the habit of walking at my lunch time, since they want me to kinda eat all day. It takes me all day to eat one grilled chicken breast sandwich while at work, just cause I can only take like 2 bites and then I'm full. :eek:

Good golly you are a real trouper. I'm so sorry this has been such an ordeal for you. You seem to have an excellent sense of humor and commitment to your health. Hang in there we are all pulling for you.

I tried Isopure and New Whey, but they have an after taste that made me sick. I am focusing more on getting my protein in my food, but I found the Smoothie King Gladiator has 45 grams of protein even in the small (20oz) and they have medium (32oz) on sale every Friday for $5, which rocks. I am getting closer to the 60 grams a day then I was a month after surgery. I just have to find some exericise to add to my routine to get the pounds to drop off even faster. I am going to try to get back into the habit of walking at my lunch time, since they want me to kinda eat all day. It takes me all day to eat one grilled chicken breast sandwich while at work, just cause I can only take like 2 bites and then I'm full. :eek:

This smoothie your taking, what is the gram amount of carbs, sugars, fats ratio to the protein grams?

Yes on isopure there is a slight aftertaste. it doesn't bother me. However, it sounds like you are finding a solution. Good for you. Eventually, we will all get enough protein from food. That takes time. I know what you mean about taking 2 bites and being full. On the chicken breast sandwich, it may be the bread that is making you full so fast. White bread, especially, is so hard to consume. That is why we hear recommendations to toast it. But then again too many carbs (over 100 grams) will slow down weight loss; it does so for me. When I see weight loss slowing down I watch my carbs more closely and try to keep them to about 60 grams a day.

The other thing that may be making you feel full is trapping gas in your little stomach. I know I can feel it after a few bites; so I stop and burp it out as discreetly as possible. It is so important to eat slowly, which is what you are doing to avoid gas pains/traps.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I am also going to look up that gladiator from smoothie king. It may be another option for me just to mix it up a bit.

I need to see how easy it is to purchase. I am looking at amazon for openers.

Here is the Nutritional info for Gladiator
http://www.smoothieking.com/smoothies/smoothie-detail.php?id=74
Gladiator®
Working out or playing hard? Don’t throw yourself to the lions. With premium whey & egg white protein base, Aminogen® and your choice of two fruits or fruit juices, Gladiator® gives your body a fighting chance.

Ingredients
Your Choice of Two Fruits, Gladiator® Protein Mix
Nutritional Information
serving size: 20 oz.32 oz.40 oz.
Calories 180
Fat (g) 0
Saturated fat (g) 0
Calories from fat 0
Cholesterol (mg) 0
Carbohydrates (g) 1
Sugar (g) 0
Protein (g) 45
Sodium (mg) 150
Fiber (g) 0

Next question.. :)

If they are adding a serving or 2 of fruit you should have some naturally occurring levels of carbs, fiber and sugars... Why are those not being accounted for?

Just saying....

I always get the double banana, so that my potassuim is covered. I am going to by the powder on Friday and make my own at home.

I also get tired of the sweet things. But I have found that soups and bouillons have helped a lot. I also have been using soups from the store. I drain off the liquid and add non flavored protein powder as I heat it. It helps a lot to change the flavors.

my newest find and food gotta have is pb and j oatmeal. Now I know this sounds a little crazy but it is good. First get the whole oats I use 1/4 cup and microwave for one minute then add some egg white. Microwave a couple more minutes and make sure you are mixing with a fork. I then add pb2 and sugar free jelly and stir stir stir. It is so yummy and it helps me get my protein in the morning which is still hard for me. I have even let it cool for a minute and added a little unjury which means big time protein boost for the morning. You can google the process and some people even posted pictures of their creations. For those still on soft foods this is a winner.

my newest find and food gotta have is pb and j oatmeal. Now I know this sounds a little crazy but it is good. First get the whole oats I use 1/4 cup and microwave for one minute then add some egg white. Microwave a couple more minutes and make sure you are mixing with a fork. I then add pb2 and sugar free jelly and stir stir stir. It is so yummy and it helps me get my protein in the morning which is still hard for me. I have even let it cool for a minute and added a little unjury which means big time protein boost for the morning. You can google the process and some people even posted pictures of their creations. For those still on soft foods this is a winner.

OK, I think I know what pb and j is. Just to be sure, please tell me! Then pb2. Where do you find this via google? What do you search for?

Thanks,

Ralph

Back