• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

5 day pouch test

I'm so excited that if I had not joined this group I may not have found out about the 5 day reset pouch test. I know I have the sleeve, but hopeful that this will retrain my brain and body to stop craving sweets. I know I usually drank a gallon or more of water a day pre surgery and anything I had before surgery it would come back up. I'm just now getting back to drinking water without it coming up. I may not make that 64oz per day which I was never made aware of or with the mini strokes and Parkinson's I simply forgot, but I'm going to give it my best effort. I hope everyone has an awesome beautiful day and stay positive. These operations are so beneficial for us. I found with gaining 14 pounds back how bad it has made my feet hurt again, and I cannot have that, because that pain is not worth it. Keep smiling, it looks awesome on you.

I'm so excited that if I had not joined this group I may not have found out about the 5 day reset pouch test. I know I have the sleeve, but hopeful that this will retrain my brain and body to stop craving sweets. I know I usually drank a gallon or more of water a day pre surgery and anything I had before surgery it would come back up. I'm just now getting back to drinking water without it coming up. I may not make that 64oz per day which I was never made aware of or with the mini strokes and Parkinson's I simply forgot, but I'm going to give it my best effort. I hope everyone has an awesome beautiful day and stay positive. These operations are so beneficial for us. I found with gaining 14 pounds back how bad it has made my feet hurt again, and I cannot have that, because that pain is not worth it. Keep smiling, it looks awesome on you.

Good for you!

I think we met over at CalorieCount too, right? Perhaps not.

Water or liquid in general is what you need to consume. It doesn't have to be all water to count towards the 64 ounces. Also, a reasonable target is 48 ounces of LIQUID daily is OK. But I bet if you count all the ounces of all the liquids you do drink, you may find that 64 ounces really isn't an issue.

The 5 day pouch test helps to reset your diet and get you back on track.

I am still in the honeymoon phase, but there are days when I will go strict with weight loss shakes and protein drinks and come in well under my 1200 calorie target just to keep me going and restarting any weight plateau I may have hit and continue the weight loss journey. For you, I see that you gained back a little.

You are to be congratulated for quickly coming to the realization that you have to do something about it.

Now, after the 5 day pouch, get back to accurate food measurement and journaling and target 1200 calories as max, 60g grams protein and try to keep the carbs under 100grams a day.

Best wishes,

Ralph

welcome I hope you find all the information that you need. I am 10 months out and 40lbs from goal. I have done the pouch test once to break the carb habit and will be starting it again in the morning. It helped the last time and I hope it does again.
Good luck with your journey

What is the 5 day reset pouch test?
It's a back to basics diet and fluid guideline for those who have been post-op for awhile and feel like their pouch is not working anymore. As time goes on, most people are able to eat and drink more, and may start to re-gain weight. It's a way to get back on track.
There's a link to the 5 day pouch test on the home page of this site.

I hope it works for you. I seem to be the only patient my doc has that went hypoglycemic from the surgery so it didn't work but they are trying to figure out how to do the test without that happening.

The 5 day pouch test is what I will be doing. I have fallen off of the weightloss wagon. I have gained back several pounds and I need to reset my pouch.

The 5 day pouch test is what I will be doing. I have fallen off of the weightloss wagon. I have gained back several pounds and I need to reset my pouch.
I'm right there with you Tillie. Haven't gained, but loss might as well be as loss at a standstill. I've had my bad eating habits creep back in and I need to stop them now. I can't let all of the haters win.

Speaking of the 5 day pouch test, I will be planning to do this as well. I need to get an extra 15 pounds off that have accumulated in the 3 years since my gastric bypass. I am feeling good, looking forward to summer and this is a golden opportunity for me to get back down to 200.

Best wishes to everyone,

Happy Easter and Happy Passover.

Ralph

Speaking of the 5 day pouch test, I will be planning to do this as well. I need to get an extra 15 pounds off that have accumulated in the 3 years since my gastric bypass. I am feeling good, looking forward to summer and this is a golden opportunity for me to get back down to 200.

Best wishes to everyone,

Happy Easter and Happy Passover.

Ralph
That makes 3 of us doing the pouch reset. I'm hoping it works.

starting today.

I am having 2 softboiled eggs in the morning, 4 shakes Premier shakes during the day and some small amount of veggies in the evening.

This will be my regimen for at least the next 5 days or more.

This is not quite a pure pouch test since I believe you must go all liquid for that but I am happy doing this. My intent is to knock off 10 pounds for openers and then see from there.

starting today.

I am having 2 softboiled eggs in the morning, 4 shakes Premier shakes during the day and some small amount of veggies in the evening.

This will be my regimen for at least the next 5 days or more.

This is not quite a pure pouch test since I believe you must go all liquid for that but I am happy doing this. My intent is to knock off 10 pounds for openers and then see from there.
I'm doing liquid and unsweet applesauce. Wasn't hungry this morning, so I didn't eat. Bad me.

Back