• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

5 months since gastric sleeve surgery

I have healthy snacks in-between meals. If I were to only eat three meals a day I would probably eat too fast, eat too much and feel very uncomfortable at mealtime. Do you write down or use an app to chart what you eat? Make sure you aren't too low in your calorie intake and make sure you are reaching your protein goals which will help as well. And sometimes we are thirsty and not really hungry so try to increase your water intake.

I also recommend snacks between meals. And I have a 32oz glass of water with me at all times and drink almost a gallon a day. So, basically I have something going all the time. When I first had surgery, I had an alarm set to remind me to eat. I still try to follow that. If I am hungry before the alarm goes off, I just have to wait. But if you are eating 5-6 times a day, it's not hard to be hungry for an hour. Whereas if you're waiting from lunch to dinner, it can be a really long time.

Susan, I stock my fridge with healthy snacks and enjoy cooking . I buy a veggie tray a couple times per month that filled with cut up veggies. I also buy hummus and make home tratziki Sauce with Greek yogurt for dipping. I have plenty of Greek yogurt and cottage cheese on hand for homemade protein smoothies. I’m well stocked up with Unjury protein powder (vanilla & chocolate). I have frozen blueberries and cherries on hand, low fat cheese sticks, and plan healthy meals. I made Pasta Fagioli soup last week which has lots of protein and nutrients. I’ve made chicken pot pies in 8 ounce dishes with crust only on the top. Today I’m making jambalaya.

I don’t feel deprived and have lost 80 pounds since my weight surgery last July.

Attachments

• D8EBF63A-1569-4BC5-85E5-5E68DF5FA224.jpeg
    D8EBF63A-1569-4BC5-85E5-5E68DF5FA224.jpeg
    866 KB · Views: 44
  • 5C4BAB41-F01D-4C94-8357-6B14B4A3E3E0.jpeg
    5C4BAB41-F01D-4C94-8357-6B14B4A3E3E0.jpeg
    730.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I was rarely ever hungry. I'm still rarely ever hungry. My original meal plan after surgery was 6 small meals daily. Truthfully - I could get up and miss my first 3 meals/snacks and not eat anything until dinner and still not be hungry. I believe that part of that is because I have a half gallon "cup" with me at ALL times. I've actually gone to the bathroom with it. Insert BLONDE JOKE HERE.... :p Most people are making sure they have their phones, keys, wallet - not me "Where the hell did I put my cup now?" My husband - "It's in your HAND Einstein!"

Here is an example of what I eat daily.
Breakfast - Protein shake - my own creation - 43g of protein.
Snack - Egg salad - 4 club crackers - 8g of protein
Lunch - Turkey cutlet with tomato, cauliflower, mozzarella cheese ball salad - 30g protein
Snack - No-bake Chocolate protein balls - 19g protein
Dinner - My Skinny Shrimp Alfredo - 13g of protein
Snack - Sugar Free Fudge bar - 2g of protein

That's 115 grams of protein. I do not always eat that much protein. But for the most part - that's a really good example of what I eat regularly. Try to increase your protein. It really keeps me full. Best of luck to you!

Tracey, Will you please share your recipe for the no bake chocolate protein balls? I used to make chocolate no bake cookies before weight loss surgery.

You can make these chocolate/vanilla/butterscotch/mint whatever flavor makes you happy! You can add coco, coconut, seeds/nuts, raisins, s/f flavored syrups - the list is endless.

No Bake protein balls

1 1/2 cups, Rolled Oats

2 scoops Whey Protein Powder Chocolate - I use Chocolate. You can use Vanilla as well.
1 tbsp Flax Seeds
2 tbsp All Natural Almond Butter - Smooth

1 tbsp Honey - you can also use applesauce or whatever sweetener you prefer.
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/3 cup, Chocolate Chips - you can use whatever flavor chip you desire - white/butterscotch/caramel/mint

3 tbsp Almond Milk - Vanilla - Unsweetened

Place oats, peanut butter, honey, protein powder and chocolate chips in a large bowl and stir to combine.

Getting the mixture to combine takes some work. It may seem too thick at first, but it will come together as you keep mixing. Use your hands to work the dough.

Once combined, use a small cookie scoop to scoop - I actually just do this by hand - and form the dough into balls. If the dough is too dry or crumbly - add more liquid (a tsp at a time) until you get a consistency you like - or that will roll into a ball.

Store in a covered container in the fridge or freezer.

They're really very tasty!!

Back