• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

5 weeks post op

I pretty much stayed on full liquids with just dinner as the newest food phase (puree, soft etc) until about 8 weeks. I could eat but it was so much easier to manage liquids.

So you can advance your entire diet or just certain meals. Whatever your body handles best.

doing better, but have stalled for 3 weeks getting my protein and water in, but not much else I'm discouraged, but staying the course
So did you have the surgery 3 weeks ago?

It seems impossible that you're having symptoms like this after 3 weeks, but that may be normal for some people. But if you've lost 30 pounds in three weeks, that's awesome, unless the reason for the big loss is that you've been vomiting.

You didn't mention if you'd checked in with your doctor. I think most people have a followup within days or a week after surgery.

Everyone here probably knows how important it is to check in with your doctor if you have ANY trouble after surgery. I don't know what procedure you had, but if you haven't checked in with your doctor, do so immediately. This is not the kind of question this support group can address.

I called my doctor. I'm not vomiting, I emailed him my food logs. My GERD is being managed with 1 pill a day, my thyroid is doing ok for now. Tomorrow is 7 week since surgery. I'm back to doing yoga, and weights at home. I walk around 2-2.5 km a day. Food and drinks are not an issue I get 60 mg protein a day, 80 oz liquid. No caffeine, no cravings, around 40 carbs a day as allowed by my plan. My doctors response was to go clear liquids for 24 hours, then full liquid for 2 days and work back up to foods over the next 5 days to see if that jumpstarts me.
Got my labs back all my levels are good and my anemia is improved, still a little low, but not as bad as it was. I'm cleared to go to the gym and will do that later this morning. I hope getting back to my gym routine helps. Doctor reminded me to let him know if I feel ill or vomit since he had to work on my esophagus.

Sounds like you are right on track. The best thing is that you're working closely with your doctor. I too was doing well and then boom nausea. I contacted my doctor and got some strategies that were related to nutrition. Now I'm feeling better. I'm at week 4 and have been working out for about 2 weeks. I called back a bit on the workouts when I started feeling dizzy and I'm still waiting for blood test results. I think this is par for the course and things will even out as we learn what our new "baby stomach" will tolerate. Hang in there, you are not alone.

Back