• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6 Days and a Wake

Stinkerbelle,

I will post picks lol. 5:45 is my time on Monday.

TillieS

2 days and a wake up !!!!!! Woot Woot.....

I am definitely keeping you, your medical team and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I will be saying and sending lots of positive energy your way...

hi TillieS two more days...you must be super excited. try to rest. my surg is out a few weeks yet. I'm having my sleep test tonight and that will finish all but one requirement. I keep fussing to my husband and his sister about all the prep doings before surg. my husband's sister is a nurse and keeps stressing the importance of all the hoops. does help to talk to her. my surgeon is an 800 mile plus trip away from home over an icy, snowy, moosey, Alaska road. we have had to travel three times to Anchorage. and may have to make one more trip before the final surg. trip. when we do go down for surg, we will have to stay in a motel for probably two weeks, maybe longer. the motel I like is very comfy, clean, and not fancy. I'm going to reserve a specific room we've used before and see if they have a reclining chair they can move in for me. think that would be another level of comfort. we have to rent a four wheel drive car to drive to Anchorage. all in all, each trip down costs us about $1,000.00. not complaining...just facts related to surg.

I know you're excited. blessings. Karen

Karen,
Reading your post, makes me feel really ashamed of myself. All you are going through to get it done. All I have to do is walk a block, jump on the lightrail and 15 minutes later I get off near the hospital. My only problem so far is it seems no one at the hospital wants to discuss the surgery with me. Hearing your story makes me feel my problems aren't that bad. Thanks for inspiring me.

hi TillieS two more days...you must be super excited. try to rest. my surg is out a few weeks yet. I'm having my sleep test tonight and that will finish all but one requirement. I keep fussing to my husband and his sister about all the prep doings before surg. my husband's sister is a nurse and keeps stressing the importance of all the hoops. does help to talk to her. my surgeon is an 800 mile plus trip away from home over an icy, snowy, moosey, Alaska road. we have had to travel three times to Anchorage. and may have to make one more trip before the final surg. trip. when we do go down for surg, we will have to stay in a motel for probably two weeks, maybe longer. the motel I like is very comfy, clean, and not fancy. I'm going to reserve a specific room we've used before and see if they have a reclining chair they can move in for me. think that would be another level of comfort. we have to rent a four wheel drive car to drive to Anchorage. all in all, each trip down costs us about $1,000.00. not complaining...just facts related to surg.

I know you're excited. blessings. Karen

Wow Karen, you really have a journey. 800 miles and $1000 every time you see the surgeon. Ill bet you'll be so glad to get this surgery behind you. Good Luck to you! :)

Cheyenne

Karen,
What happens if they find you have sleep apnea so close to surgery. I was told I had it last year but refuse to wear the mask. Will it disqualify me?

Omaha,

If I have sleep apnea, I will have to wear the CPAP for two weeks in preparation for surgery. This is one of the comorbidities which insurances companies look at for necessity of bariatric surgery. Pretty sure I have it as it is also associated with fibromyalgia and diabetes, both of which I have. Also, all three of my sisters and my daughter have sleep apnea. pretty sure my 46 yr old son was also afflicted before he passed away.

again, and sincerely, blessings,

Karen

Hi Tilles, It's now February 2014. Hope you are doing fantastic! I'm hopping to have VSG in the next 2 mo. and was just wondering how you got threw the pre op luquid diet faze . I'm overwhelmed and want to get a head start on the whole process . Any suggestions ?

hopping in here as I'm going to be in my pre op phase hopefully in two weeks. I've been getting supplies of needed items but will need to add more to my larder as actual pre-op time arrives. Right now I'm eating partially as my dr wants for pre-op just to feel comfortable with the process. Love the protein powder drinks. As of now, I'm adding some goodies such as my allowed fruit frozen, homemade oat flour, sugar free caramel topping, shredded coconut. I will adjust this for calorie intake later.

Hi Tilles, It's now February 2014. Hope you are doing fantastic! I'm hopping to have VSG in the next 2 mo. and was just wondering how you got threw the pre op luquid diet faze . I'm overwhelmed and want to get a head start on the whole process . Any suggestions ?

Hi Janelle,

I did ok on the liquid diet phase as I was able to have 2 shakes breakfast and lunch, then a light dinner of lean protein a small salad with balsamic vinagrette dressing. No starchy veggies, no breads, of course no sodas, or caffeine. one snack of 10 carrots, and another snack of plain yogurt. The snacks I didn't really eat. Just take everything one day at a time and you will get through this. Good luck with your surgery.

TillieS

Ok Question,

I am having a headache do you think it would be ok to take tylenol??? It's not an nsaid I can't take them allergic to them.

Tillie, Take a deep breath and relax... The only OTC pain reliever I can take with my RNY pouch is Tylenol aka Acetaminophen.... I am not eve to take aspirin or other NSAIDS such as Aleve, Motrin and such unless I am also taking another medication designed to protect my pouch...

OmahajimmyT,

I have a cpap machine and I have to take it with me to the hospital on Monday. If I don't they will charge my insurance 140 a day for use of theirs. I will be taking mine and I will be taking my glucometer as well. Just in case.

@krme, a wake means Monday the day of my surgery.

TillieS

TillieS,
To be honest, hAVING most of my stomach removed, lifelong changes in my eating habits and possible medical complications don't scare me anywhere near as much as wearing that mask. Last time I had one it took me 2 weeks to finally try it and only 20 seconds to rip it off after becoming terrified.

Back