• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6 Month Wait

Lilygirl

Hello everyone, My insurance company requires a six-month waiting period before I can get the RNY done. My question is: Does that six months start as soon I see the surgeon for the consultation? No one has really clarified that for me. I attended a virtual seminar this week and I see my surgeon for a consultation next week. Any insights would be appreciated.

It is your first appt with a bariatric doctor or surgeon. Informational seminars do not count. You will most likely be required to see a bariatric doctor every month for 6 months, get a psych eval and have a few visits with a nutritionist.

My insurance actually assigned a case worker/nurse to me. I spoke to her once a month as well, sometimes more often, to help me through the process and keep track of my progress. If your insurance offers this, accept. I loved her and the extra help and support was really awesome.

Hello,

My insurance allows a 4 month process but the bariatric center that I went with has a mandatory 7 month process. One class a month for 7 months plus psych, dietitian, medical appointments. Their reasons for the 7 months is to make sure you are dedicated to the process and understand the life long dedication required to make the most of the tool they are giving you. I was able to get mine "fast tracked" and finished all of the requirements in about 5.5 months so now I am just waiting for my pre-surgical appointment to get a surgery date!

Hello,

My insurance allows a 4 month process but the bariatric center that I went with has a mandatory 7 month process. One class a month for 7 months plus psych, dietitian, medical appointments. Their reasons for the 7 months is to make sure you are dedicated to the process and understand the life long dedication required to make the most of the tool they are giving you. I was able to get mine "fast tracked" and finished all of the requirements in about 5.5 months so now I am just waiting for my pre-surgical appointment to get a surgery date!
Congratulations! That is amazing!

Back