• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6 yrs post-opt issues

Hi everyone! I've posted this on a couple different places in hopes someone has experienced what I am. I'm 6 yrs post-opt not many problems really till recently. I'm not sure if the issues are GBP related or Gastroparesis related. For several months now I've been having no desire to eat anything in the morning. I enjoy my cup of coffee and by 11am I just start to get hungry. So I eat something this leaves me skipping meals. Yes I know a big no, no. So I bought some Unjury which I enjoyed right after surgery and now it just tastes like crap. Late last night I craved some oatmeal so I made a packet of apple cinnamon oatmeal I usually have no issue eating this. Not last night I ended up vomiting and not by making myself vomit. I've been having some other issues like increased heart burn (I'm on Prilosec), and bowel issues they tend to vary from I need to hurry to the potty or I'm happy if I can even go after 2-3 days. I'm wondering which is the issue Gastric Bypass or Gastroparesis? Anyone have these issues? I'm hoping someone can help me!

Hi!!! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I am sorry to say I really don't know the answers you're seeking but I remember before my surgery that the nutritionist said something about sometimes the intestines that is re-routed gets turned and moves out of place and a person can get the circulation compromised and sometimes the surgeon has to go in and fix it. This is very rare but it does happen. It's nothing to mess with and is very serious. I would go to the emergency room or at the very least call your bariatric surgeon. Something is wrong and it's better to be safe than sorry. Good Luck!

Cheyenne

My mom got diagnosed with Diverticulities and Krohns disease within the same year. The doctors think she had always had them since she also has arthritis but they think that her bypass surgery 10 years ago may have triggered her immune system and this diseases flared up after she had broken her arm or something like that. Its something to have your doctor check for.

The key message here is get back to your bariatric surgeon and his team and go over everything with them.

Don't mess around wondering what you should do. Call the doctor, make an appointment and follow through.

You are discussing something that is certainly not a common occurrence and does require medical expertise and possible intervention.

Best wishes. Keep in touch with us and let us know how you are doing.

Ralph

Hi everyone! I've posted this on a couple different places in hopes someone has experienced what I am. I'm 6 yrs post-opt not many problems really till recently. I'm not sure if the issues are GBP related or Gastroparesis related. For several months now I've been having no desire to eat anything in the morning. I enjoy my cup of coffee and by 11am I just start to get hungry. So I eat something this leaves me skipping meals. Yes I know a big no, no. So I bought some Unjury which I enjoyed right after surgery and now it just tastes like crap. Late last night I craved some oatmeal so I made a packet of apple cinnamon oatmeal I usually have no issue eating this. Not last night I ended up vomiting and not by making myself vomit. I've been having some other issues like increased heart burn (I'm on Prilosec), and bowel issues they tend to vary from I need to hurry to the potty or I'm happy if I can even go after 2-3 days. I'm wondering which is the issue Gastric Bypass or Gastroparesis? Anyone have these issues? I'm hoping someone can help me!

If you have been a bariatric patient 5 years or more and would like to share your journey for a future book, please contact me.
I wrote a book on my experience - called Gastric Girl, 7 plus years beyond Bariatric Surgery. I want to a follow up book of other people's journey.

Nicki

Back