• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

8 days after gastric bypass

wildrose

I want to cry today. I am so sick of water and protein shakes. I want something to get this sick taste out of my mouth. And I am not supposed to have anything but clear liquids for two more weeks. They did not even say I could have apple juice. And on top of that I am trying to choke down meds that require taking the capsules apart so I can digest them easily. I want something like applesauce or crackers. The doc's office required us to buy a preop pack of protein shakes and vitamins - all chewables. ( so gross to me). I can get through the pain, but this diet for two more weeks seems way over the top. One of the protein shakes is so gross, I can barely choke it down. I am so tired of all of it. I am not going to make it two more weeks!:(

I know it must be hard but research what classifies as clear liquids and try to find some variety in flavor. Ask your doc if you can try different brand of protein shake. two weeks will pass before you know it. I always find peace and comfort in talking to Lord and this site is a blessing with some good listeners!

Hi Wildrose,

I am 7 days post op myself and your post really hit home with me! I know what sick taste you are talking about. But the papers the hospital sent me home with describe clear liquids as including "non-citrus juices such as apple, white grape and cranberry, diluted by 50% water, sugar free popsicles, sugar free jello, and Crystal Light flavors". Also soup broth such as chicken, beef or veggie, as long as it can be strained through cheese cloths. Trader Joe's has a concentrated low sodium chicken broth that is really good.

I don't think I could make it 2 weeks on protein shakes and water only. Go back and check your post op diet orders, you may have missed what they said about clear juices. If not, call your dr and ask. I am sure you can have the same things I can.

Good luck.

i agree with queenie, i would call the doctor! I received my post op diet today which consists of calorie free liquids and protein shakes! It says to choose from water, herbal tea, decaf coffee, broth (fat free or low fat), crystal lite, diet gelatin, diet snapple, diet twister, diluted fruit juice(no more then 4oz. Per day), sugar free popsicles, ocean spray lite juice, skim milk, sugar free kool aid, power zero and sobe lifewater 0-calories! Hang in there wildrose we are all here to support you!! You can do this, i know it gets discouraging at times but the rewards will be great i promise you!! If you need to talk inbox me any time!!

I'm with the last two posts...you have more options than what you listed. I am 8 days out of surgery. I am allowed to take those Med capsules that you take apart in no sugar, natural apple sauce.. 2 teaspoonfulls and that almost too much for me. I am hardly getting g enough liquids or proteins necessary but I'm slowly building up to it. Made it over 30 yesterday and today. I made a trip to Walmart today for some sugar free popcicles/jello, which are both nice treas to break up the protein drinks and broth. Right now I'm sipping on some peach tea crystal lite, yummy! I am still in such incredible pain I can barely function. I'm hoping this eases up as I have 3 young children depending on me and work to return to a week from today. Good luck to everyone. It is nice to have this outlet. I lost 20 lbs in the first 5 days post-op, but it was the worst 5 days of my life. I'm still in the pissed off stage of why did I do this to myself. Hoping my attitude changes in the weeks to come..

Relief is coming gals/ guys. I'm 22 days out. It is a struggle. You have to remember this isn't forever. You will eventually get back to eating 'real' food. I miss chewing and textures. A clear liquid diet would not include most protien drinks. I had to be on a stage 3 diet before being allowed to leave the hospital. It is a modified full liquid diet. Doc wants me on this for 6 weeks. Frankly, not doing well with that. I snitch. I have eaten things that are definitely not part of a liquid diet. It's not a good idea. In my experience it just kinda hurts. I had the gastric sleeve and doc says he did me really tight. As far as pain the first week I hurt. Bad. I would take pain meds except at night cause they only seemed to make me sleep. After the 1st week though daily it got better. Now I can bend down without to much discomfort. Note I didn't say pain. I have lost over 20 pounds and am still striving to meet my protien goal daily. Some days good some days a little off. Water intake has been harder. ( by this I actually mean all non protien fluids). Doc says the dietician is unrealistic on what she says to be taking in for 'food and fluid'. He says initially it is too much and to just keep striving to reach it. Dietician wants like 60oz water and another 24 oz of protien drinks a day. I might make 60 oz grand total of each. Have you tried making cream of soups with power milk and pureeing it. Power milk is skim milk with powdered milk. It increases the protien in the milk by like 8 grams per 8 oz. I have also blended that with Greek yogurt with good result in the flavor department. I hate whey protien but can tolerate the EAS vanilla Soy. Anyway I wish you luck. Remember you are not alone in this. It does get better and soon you'll be buying new undies cause your old ones don't stay up any more.:)

Butyba

Okay! A new day - yes I can have more than I listed: sugar free jello, popsicles, broth, decaf tea or coffee. No fruit juices at all (I specifically asked about apple). The popsicles I eat 3 or 4 a day. I had been thinking about the applesauce, unsweetened to help with the meds. It seems with the jello, it ends up all over my mouth. My doc just seems way conservative to what some of the others do and some days it seems so far off till I can I have a taste of something without aspertaine in it - But yes - I will survive. Thanks for advice and sympathy.

HIbUTYBA

LIKE YOUR GOOD ATTITUDE AND THE TALK OF GETTING NEW "CLOTHES" YES THAT'S EVERY GAL'S DREAM TO BE ABLE TO GO TO LINGERE AND PICK OUT SOMETHING WE WANT BY CHOICE, AND NOT JUST GET THE STUFF WE HAVE TO HAVE WITH NO FUN DESIGNS'ETC.
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR HEALING YOUR GOOD ATTIDUDE WILL HELP OTHERS, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE MINE DONE SO I CAN SHARE MY STORY TOO.
LOVE THIS SITE, I LOOK FORWARD TO READING OTHER'S SUCCESS AND WOE'S TOO SO I CAN LEARN , NO BODY LIKES JUST HAVING LIQUIDS BUT WHEN ALL OF US GET INTO THE SIZE JEANS WE WANT WE'LL BE PRANCING AROUND SAYING"I DID IT' AND YES IT WAS WORTH EVERY DROP OF BROTH, JELLO AND PROTEIN I HAD TO CONSUME.
HAVE A GOOD DAY
DONNA

The first day I found this site I was going crazy with frustration with this diet. Someone responded to my (cry for help) post and I got all weepy. It was such a relief to know that somewhere out there someone was going through or had gone thru the same thing as me. I stil hate this diet. But just knowing has helped me (some) to avoid those foods I am not supposed to eat. Now I only take one little bite then feed the rest to the dog. Soon she'll need bariatric surgery. Lol. I'm glad today is going better for you. Remember ' if you want to see rainbows you half to put up with a little rain' :)

Butyba

Hi Bigtallsis,

I have 2 older sisters. Both are 'bigger' than me. Not overwieght but noticeably taller. I'm the short fat one. :). The smaller of MY 2 bigtallsis's gave me my username. We were playing Barbies....Enyhoo seeing your user name made me smile. The bigger of my sisters both physically and age calls me little sis. :). Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Butyba

your attitude wil change. get you a litle post it note and write I am a warm wonderful wothwhile person andNOBODY CAN TAKE IT FROM ME. we have to stay positive. the journey and sometimes be difficult but we can do it patti

hi Butyba

Hi Bigtallsis,

I have 2 older sisters. Both are 'bigger' than me. Not overwieght but noticeably taller. I'm the short fat one. :). The smaller of MY 2 bigtallsis's gave me my username. We were playing Barbies....Enyhoo seeing your user name made me smile. The bigger of my sisters both physically and age calls me little sis. :). Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Butyba

hi
I'm 5'10 and a big gal,within a year your sister's will have to give you a "new nic name" cause you'll be smaller. I've always been known as everyone's BIG SIS, first being tall and having the need to be "motherly to all" sometimes I quess I over step my bounds, anyway I have one sis whose also tall but much smaller than me( I want to be able to wear her clothes once I loose these unwanted pounds) also have 3 brothers. can't wait to not be bigger than my brothers. I told one of them GOD gave him a barbie figure and be a football players stature. well no one's fault but my own for me being over-weight but a new me will be birthed this year. as long as we can laugh and still enjoy life we're doing good. Keep smiling for new beginings are on there way for us, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Donna

Wildrose-Glad to hear you can have more than water and protein shakes. My post surgery meal plan was not as strict as yours since I only had to stay on clear liquids for one week including the 4 days I was in the hospital. I tolerated the full liquid stage for the second week. I thought I would be in heaven on week 3 when I was allowed to start eating pureed foods. My tiny new pouch did not like the pureed foods at all so I went back to the full liquids for another 10 days. It took me a long time to tolerate pureed foods and a longer time to progress through the soft food phase. Hang in there, 2 weeks is not a long time in the grand scheme of things. When you reach the next stage of your meal plan take it slow and listen to what your tiny pouch is telling you as you are eating.

my doc isn't sending me home on clear liquids. I have to puree everything but I do have food I can have and ones I can't. I am going to go with baby food the first week just for the ease of it. gross. lol I found with the protein drinks I put a scoop, about 1/4 cup of water...stir like crazy add3/4 cup of skim milk and stir like crazy. is it smooth, no. a little lumpy but I cannot stand the froth on the so called smoothie.

Back