• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

8 days post op

MaryJ

I am feeling very discourage. I had surgery last Monday. I have been doing liquids and I don't get full. I fill like if this was a tool it should be working. I slipped yesterday and had a red lobster biscuit. Didn't bother me and now I feel like I have wasted a lot of money and pain setting up something that will not control me.

You have to give it some time to heal. It is hard to get too full on liquids. You do not want to rush it too much. Your stomach needs time to heal. It is like a new baby's stomach -- you dont start out a baby with eating solid food you build up to it. I did not loose much until I started eating the soft foods. It seems crazy that I did not loose on liquids when I was getting only 500 -700 cal a day. However, once I was eating more calories it started coming off. Sometimes its better to take measurements or look at how your clothes are fitting. Even after you are eating more calories and loosing weight it is hard and you have to hae determination. This is the hardest thing I have done.

I had my surgery on Dec 22, I'm not really hungry, I start my day with 8 oz protein shake, then wait a bit and have a cup of water, then have a snack,, fat free sugar free pudding then back to my water, next another 8oz shake, back to water then supper shake again, water, cup of soup water again, sometimes I switch up my water for hot tea or chicken bouillon

I still do at least one shake per day but I have had good results and no problems experimenting with small portions of other foods.Fruits in those little cups have been really good.Had 2 pieces of bacon and a little scrambled egg for breakfast with a friend today.
Eating slow and in small amounts works for me.I get the dry burps sometimes but that has been the only sign I have eaten too much.

I still do at least one shake per day but I have had good results and no problems experimenting with small portions of other foods.Fruits in those little cups have been really good.Had 2 pieces of bacon and a little scrambled egg for breakfast with a friend today.
Eating slow and in small amounts works for me.I get the dry burps sometimes but that has been the only sign I have eaten too much.
I can't wait to eat some eggs and bacon lol,

The first week of was really hungry. I think it was stomach healing and bubbling gas. The second week is better. Liquids go down fine but soft foods make me full after a few bites. 2 weeks after surgery and I've only lost 3#. But I had a low bmi so I'm not sure if that's what is making lose so slow.

Shakes are getting old but I know I am suppose to eat them, and I am a rule follower lol, I don't want any screw ups, I can't wait to add some real food to my plate
wow Tracy! Sounds like you are on your way.I am scared to venture from my protein shakes, sugar free jello, clear soup, and of course water, Surgery date was 1/3/2017 Is there any other food options at this stage that worked for you?

I think the rules they give us were designed for the very most fragile of us.
After 2 weeks I tried very small amounts of stuff I like.
Bacon,fruit in juice etc.
Now I can eat anything in small amounts.
Never had a problem.

wow Tracy! Sounds like you are on your way.I am scared to venture from my protein shakes, sugar free jello, clear soup, and of course water, Surgery date was 1/3/2017 Is there any other food options at this stage that worked for you?
My Dr allowed me to eat tomato soup with skim milk and cream of chicken with skim milk, with out the small chunks of chicken in the first two weeks before and after surgery, but ever Dr is different, he just added rotisserie chicken to my list of food I'm allowed to eat so on my way home from Dr I stopped at grocery store and picked one up, can barely fit 3 oz of it down but yum

I haven't tried eating a scrambled egg yet. I can eat tuna, mashed/baked potatoes, cottage cheese with no issues. I can always tell when I am getting full so I stop there. We went to McAllister's Deli today for lunch and I got one of their baked potatoes. they are huge. I ate maybe 1/3 of it and brought the rest home. I'll have 2 more meals out of it. I have been eating instant oatmeal and cream of wheat for breakfast. Can't eat it all, tho. It does "stick to your ribs" so you don't get hungry for a couple of hours. I am doing a lot better than I thought I would. No issues of vomiting. I did have one dizzy spell a week after I came home but I think it was because I got up too fast. Nothing since.

Back