• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

9 Years Out

Thank you for allowing me to join this group. I had gastric bypass in 2013. After numerous problems, including getting my gall bladder out, repairing a section of the surgery, appendicitis and having dumping syndrome, I got down to 142 lbs, I could barely stand, I was so weak. I finally leveled out at 165 lbs. and I was happy with that. I had this surgery for diabetes, fatty liver that was progressing and sleep apnea, just to name a few things. I no longer needed diabetic meds, statins, and the CPAP but slowly I gained 15 lbs. None of my pants fit me, my stomach is huge! I ended up back on the CPAP but not the drugs. I had tried everything to lose this stomach. It looks like I swallowed a basketball. I lost 12 of those 15 lbs and I still look the same. So uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this.

I’m a little over a year out, but I have not experienced anything like what you’re describing. Have you talked to your primary/bariatric doctor about what might be causing the enlarged stomach? I guess personally speaking, I’m not sure how 15lbs could cause a bulge like that. But I’m also not a doctor-and I don’t play one on TV ;)

I have not seen them in person since Covid came out. I had phone appointments. I told them, they didn't seem to think much of it. I also told my primary, she didn't say anything either and I have a gastro guy who watches over my liver and colonoscopys etc. I saw him in person and he said it's fat. It's driving me crazy.

I am 18 months or so out and I have an umbilical hernia which bulges my stomach out. Not saying that is what you have but I am saying that I think you should get it checked. I am not doing anything for the hernia unless it becomes an issue physically but I am glad that I am aware that it is there.

Thank you JudyNY! I was told I have an umbilical hernia and because I have so many medical issues, I forgot (which is also a problem). She did say it was small but there is scar tissue from the surgery and a hernia. I don't think that is the whole story though. I'm going to keep looking on here, maybe someone else has gone thru this.

Thank you JudyNY! I was told I have an umbilical hernia and because I have so many medical issues, I forgot (which is also a problem). She did say it was small but there is scar tissue from the surgery and a hernia. I don't think that is the whole story though. I'm going to keep looking on here, maybe someone else has gone thru this.

If I lie down on my back it really sticks up where if it were just fat it would sink in. I think mine has gotten bigger but maybe it just stands out more after losing weight.

I’m a little over a year out, but I have not experienced anything like what you’re describing. Have you talked to your primary/bariatric doctor about what might be causing the enlarged stomach? I guess personally speaking, I’m not sure how 15lbs could cause a bulge like that. But I’m also not a doctor-and I don’t play one on TV ;)
“But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night”…

So time has gone by. I went to Dartmouth, they did a CT scan with contrast and said there is nothing wrong. They told me to see my gastro guy in Vermont and/or my PCP. They did say I have a very small umbilical hernia. Other than that, there is nothing. My PCP would not be able to help me so I will see the gastro guy. I'm thinking I might have a bad case of IBS. I've been told all my life that I have that. I will have to try to tweak my food a bit and see if it helps. Definitely can't afford to buy all new clothes! Thanks for your help!

I am 18 months or so out and I have an umbilical hernia which bulges my stomach out. Not saying that is what you have but I am saying that I think you should get it checked. I am not doing anything for the hernia unless it becomes an issue physically but I am glad that I am aware that it is there.
Judy.... What testing did they do to diagnose the umbilical hernia? I have a feeling that is what I have an would like to be mentally prepared!

Back