• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

9 yrs postop

dgrrl21

Hello there!

I am 9 years post op and am looking to drop 30 lbs. I am working with a nutrition and fitness coach and working on a calorie deficit. One thing that popped into my head was "does a calorie deficit look different for someone with RNY". Meaning, she did the normal TDEE calculations but is that most accurate for me? Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

This is a question best asked of your nutritionist, as it's part of the science of physics, more than diet suggestion.

However, I'll share my rule of thumb. Plan, weigh, measure, write down, include some movement and generally just behave the way you would if you had already reached your set point.

The fact is, I got to be morbidly obese by NOT doing any of those things. I wish I could just pretend everything is normal, but the fact is, I'M not normal. I got to a point of having a nearly perfect figure in my 20s and thought it would always be that way. But part of aging is losing hormones and developing bad habits. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

I'm 15 years post-op and I still have to think about how things used to be. I still have fear. I cling to this group for the support I so badly need. And I gained a little weight and filled out a bit, but that's normal and absolutely fine with me. If I want to be skinny, I can do that, but I'd rather be fit and happy, which I am.

But that's nothing compared to the other side of the coin. I feel great, I love food, I look good, I have pretty clothes, I get compliments and yada yada. And even though journaling is tedious, it's also a way to build self esteem, and a way to consciously recognize failure and success and allow the appropriate response to follow.

Congrats on your 9 years. You've done an awesome thing. Don't fixate on the 30 pounds. You can make it go away. Focus on losing only one pound a week and ask your nutritionist to figure out a diet that will allow that to happen. You're going to be fine. In fact, you already are.:)

This is a question best asked of your nutritionist, as it's part of the science of physics, more than diet suggestion.

However, I'll share my rule of thumb. Plan, weigh, measure, write down, include some movement and generally just behave the way you would if you had already reached your set point.

The fact is, I got to be morbidly obese by NOT doing any of those things. I wish I could just pretend everything is normal, but the fact is, I'M not normal. I got to a point of having a nearly perfect figure in my 20s and thought it would always be that way. But part of aging is losing hormones and developing bad habits. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

I'm 15 years post-op and I still have to think about how things used to be. I still have fear. I cling to this group for the support I so badly need. And I gained a little weight and filled out a bit, but that's normal and absolutely fine with me. If I want to be skinny, I can do that, but I'd rather be fit and happy, which I am.

But that's nothing compared to the other side of the coin. I feel great, I love food, I look good, I have pretty clothes, I get compliments and yada yada. And even though journaling is tedious, it's also a way to build self esteem, and a way to consciously recognize failure and success and allow the appropriate response to follow.

Congrats on your 9 years. You've done an awesome thing. Don't fixate on the 30 pounds. You can make it go away. Focus on losing only one pound a week and ask your nutritionist to figure out a diet that will allow that to happen. You're going to be fine. In fact, you already are.:)

Thank you so much for the insight. I did address this with my nutritionist. I am focusing on weighing my food, etc. I am always so vigilant with maintaining this lifestyle tool. I appreciate the support and congrats to you as well!

Back