• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

A brief intro

Lianne

Hello to all. My name is Lianne and I live, work and play in Colorado. I chose to have RNY surgery on 8/23/10. I started this latest journey at a top weight of 396. At only 5'2", you can probably imagine my struggles. I'm now at 256 & have stalled in my loss. Since my late teens/early 20's I've struggled with weight. As many have experienced, I gradually gained (with several temporary losses) about 120 pounds over a period of about 25 years. In October of 2006, I was hit head on by a drunk driver and my weight became more of a problem than it ever had. I was severely injured and spent many weeks in the hospital with may subsequent months in rehab. I still have lingering problems from my injuries but one of the most significant problems over the course of a year following the accident was the addition of another 100 pounds. During that time, my mobility was seriously limited and my ability to stand and prepare my own food was essentially non-existent. I was dependent upon my husband and daughter for meal preparation and neither of them could be considered a cook. Partnered with the lack of activity, unless absolutely necessary (i.e. trips to the bathroom, heading off to bed), the weight gain was fast and unforgiving. I was stuck in a vicious circle...I couldn't lose weight without gaining mobility and I couldn't get mobile without losing weight. It was about 2 years ago that I began to consider surgical weight loss options. After a great deal of research and discussion with family and friends, I chose gastric bypass. My experiences since then have been all over the board. I look forward to meeting others who have similar and different experiences.

Hi Lianne, has the gastric bypass helped you as much as you think it should have? I' still on the fence about going through with my op.

Back