• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

A stand still.

LSABR

I just joined this group and am so happy to find folks to talk to that know what I am going through! I have done extremely well with my weight loss up until now, however, for the last 2 weeks I have had these 2 pounds that keep appearing and disappearing every time I get on my scale. One day I will weigh 202 and the next day or so it will be 204, then back to 202 and back to 204. I'm so used to the presurgery me that would lose weight really well for a month or so and then all of a sudden, I would put it all back on. Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal? Have any of you had this happen? I'm taking in at least 1 protein shake a day, which is usually my breakfast. I eat bites of lunch, usually meat with a little veggie, same for dinner. I figure I'm not doing well on the protein, but honestly, I'm clueless how to count a few bites of meat even when I know the protein value. I try to guesstimate and I'm pretty sure I usually get in around 45 - 50 grams of protein a day.

Hi LSABR,

I am assuming that you probably are not getting enough protein. You should be getting at least 60 Grams of protein a day and maybe need to do two shakes instead of one, and gradually start increasing your protein intake with foods. Your body may be going into starvation mode and protecting itself from losing weight. On the other hand we all reach plateaus but this sounds more like the starvation mode to me. I have seen others who eat maybe five small meals a day rather than just three when you have RNY surgery like you do.

Maybe Pat and Tom will respond as they both have RNY surgery and understand the meal plans better than I do.

It does sound like not enough protein though.

Joy

LSABR-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on having your surgery and your weight loss. You are doing GREAT!!! I agree with JavaJoy. Protein is key to promoting weight loss. Eating enough calories is also important. Even though there is not a lot of discussion regarding calories after WLS, if you don't eat enough it can put your body into a starvation mode and the weight loss will slow down and even stop. Give your nutritionist a call to discuss what your minimum calorie intake should be. It's different for everyone based on height, weight, metabolsm, exercise, age and your general health condition. I can offer a SWAG and say calories need to be around 800-1200 but your nutritionist is far better qualified to determine this.

I'm going to be silly and say it is your scale. :rolleyes: You've done beautifully on your weight loss.

Fearing the return of old patterns and weight regain is normal. I understand this happens every three to four months, this sort of plateau thing. I do notice that if I get stubborn about eating, I do go into starvation mode and it takes a while to get your body to agree it's okay when you do go back to enough calories. Protein is first, always, then vegetables, then fruits. With the gastric bypass we have, yes, six tiny meals.

This link will provide information on grams of protein per average serving (USDA is source)
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/wtrank/sr17w203.pdf

With this link, you'll find basic information, but links also for vegetarians, etc.
http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

Kick up your protein first while you back off the exercise. Then after about a week, slowly increase your exercise and maintain your protein. Your body should snap out of starvation mode and you'll be moving forward again.

Back