• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

able to eat salads?

Debbie Roach

I have talked to several people at work and they say that they still aren't able to eat salad. They are all 2+ years post op. I'd like to hear from others - is this correct or not?

I had the RnY a little over two years ago, I started eating salad about 1 year ago, I just make sure to use low fat dressing, have meat and cheese on it for my protien, or if with a meal I will eat my protien first and have a few nibbles of salad then I am done. Rember though we are all different when it comes to what we can and cant eat so when you first try salad just have a few nibbles and only after you finish your protien. Good luck. :cool: Tom

Thanks, I guess the lettuce is one of the hardest things to eat. I've eaten cooked spinach and did OK. I will try a salad soon - with lots of chicken on it to eat first!

I started eating raw baby carrots on week 5 and didn't have any issues and ate raw tomatoes on week 6 and salads with fat free dressing on week 7. Veggies are mostly water so as long as you chew them very thoroughly there shouldn't be any issues. I can see lettuce causing an issue if it's not chewed thoroughly because it can block the opening from your pouch to your intestines. Like Tom said, protein should always be eaten first. I had my RNY on 2/27/12 and still have problems eating "whole" meats. I can eat lean turkey and ham lunchmeats, canned tuna and canned chicken, ground beef and ground turkey as long as it is cooked to a very soft texture and very moist and cheeses of any kind. I also eat low fat popcorn, almonds, peanuts and pistachios and usually use small amounts of these as my meal plan snacks.

I too had a hard time with salad, but i've found if I get the "baby greens" instead of iceberg lettuce, I'm able to tolerate salad. Tomatoes and I sprinkle some goat cheese on top for added protein.

I was able to eat saled after a year. I have found a low fat ranch dressing I really like. I also use baby greens and most of the time I put grilled chicken strips and grated sharp chedder on it. A sprinkle of sunflower seeds give you a little crunch. I eat this as dinner or bag it up for lunch at work.

Back