• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Add rich, yummy, cheesy flavor to favorite recipes, without fat!

Qaterra

Nutritional Yeast

Not only an outstanding flavor enhancer but also a nutritional powerhouse.

You definitely want Nutritional Yeast, not Brewer's Yeast or Baker's Yeast. Nutritional Yeast is "inactive" yeast. It is grown specifically to be eaten and enjoyed for its nutrients. If you have furry kids, they will like it, too. Mine think it's just about the world's best treat! They also like Brewer's Yeast tablets, another nutritious treasure trove.

A 2-tablespoon serving of fortified yeast offers more than 100 percent of your daily needs for most of the B vitamins, 4 g of fiber, 9 g of protein and 20 percent of the daily value for iron, based on a 2,000-calorie diet. For the lower calorie diets of wls patients, the numbers get even better!

For some ideas of where and how to use it, think Parmesan cheese. Anywhere you might use Parmesan, you can probably use Nutritional Yeast. It's very mild, you'll probably use a bit more of it than you would of Parmesan. Sprinkle it on vegetables, in soups, on eggs. It's outstanding in beans. It turns plain baked cauliflower or steamed broccoli into something really special.

The easiest way to physically use it? Buy one of those large hole shakers and put it right on the table, along with salt and pepper, and whatever other condiments you keep available.

If you're unfamiliar with Nutritional Yeast, by all means try it. You just might like it! And what a delicious and easy way to get those extra nutrients.

where do you find nutrional yeast? I've never seen it in the local grocery stores I am assuming you found in online or at a local nutrinal store?

My husbend can't eat cheese and I'v tried tofu cheese sub. and other cheese sub. and he can't like them. Ill try the yeast on his texas toast. thanks.

My husbend can't eat cheese and I'v tried tofu cheese sub. and other cheese sub. and he can't like them. Ill try the yeast on his texas toast. thanks.

Hmmm. Don't know about that one, peggygoforth. I've only ever eaten it mixed in things. If the Texas Toast is buttered, you might be able to sprinkle the yeast on and spread it around into the butter. Otherwise, I don't think it would work just "dry" on the toast.

If you try it, please let us know how it goes!

Back