• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

After 2002 my pouch has actually Torn...

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone. I had Gastric Bypass in 2002. my highest weight was 715 and I have never went backwards. I work and walk and eat right so I was doing things as usual. Until I got sick with COVID in Feb 2021. some how the vomiting was so sever that my pouch actually ruptured. I can not for the life of me understand this. In the beginning I was told that I cold rupture it from over eating but after 19 years I never would have imagined it would tear now. Has this happened to anyone?

Oh my goodness, I've not heard of having the stomach pouch rupture like that. So sorry you had Covid and now this. I have heard of Covid causing gastrointestinal issues and even gastrointestinal bleeding. My sisters friend died of Covid and it was the gastrointestinal bleed that caused his death, just when he was starting to do better. The ironic part is that was a retired GI doctor, very sad as he was only in his 60s.

What are they doing for your rupture?

Right now I have to have surgery to repair it. it hurts so bad. I'm on all liquids until my surgery. it hurts so much. My Dr. said that it was a possibility that the rupture was COVID related but could not say definitively that was the cause.

wow... so when is the surgery? I feel for you. I would hate to go through the same thing but everything is a possibility with us. We altered out bodys and now we just have to adjust and be careful with everything. I hope it will be a speedy recovery. And hope it is soon.

Back