• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Alcohol

I understand the 3-6 month to 1 yr rule however has anyone had just a vodka water a week after surgery? I’ve been trying to research if it an absolute no bc I will have major complications or if it’s just a no bc of our new lifestyle changes and you’ll get drunk faster rule.

You do not mention if you are still in pain meds. I hope you are not mixing them, as that can be very dangerous. Otherwise, you will probably be fine this one time.

However, I'm going to ask that you take a hard look at your behavior. It's concerning that you felt you had to have a drink within a week of surgery. And the fact that you're researching complications suggests that you plan on having more. WLS makes it much more likely to develop an alcohol addiction, probably due to looking for a way to replace food.

Also, the fact that you're playing fast and loose with the rules a week out does not really bode well for the end game. WLS is only a tool. Long term success is only achieved by following the rules.

I suggest you accept it was a bad decision and move on with the intent to follow the rules that were set out by your team. Good luck.

There were very few rules 14 years ago when I had full open-procedure gastric bypass. I was told what to eat and drink, which essentially included things with milk like cream soups and cereals. But I was never told no alcohol. Now, I want to stress that doctors and nutritionists know a lot more about the effects of different food and drink than they did back then. I wouldn't have had hard liquor for a long time because it's not my thing. But I would have had red wine--and I did--as soon as I was cleared for food like pasta and stew.

Even though I suffered no ill effects from my post-op diet, I can tell you it didn't come close to resembling what doctors require today. This may be science, or it may be insurance-related. But whatever it is, if you want to consume vodka or gin or whisky or even wine, ASK YOUR NUTRITIONIST first, and ask intensely, refusing what sounds like a pat answer. Ask WHY. Find out what the effect of a certain food or drink will have on your new gut.

You may deeply regret the indulgence. Or you may be fine. But in finding out, you're taking a risk you shouldn't take without learning all the information attached to it.

I've read a lot of nutty posts from people who ate stuff they shouldn't have and came to this group for support. Those folks generally didn't stick around more than a day or two. And excessive alcohol consumption is one of the factors listed among the reasons RYGB fails. I sure wouldn't want to go through that surgery, only to fail because I was in the mood for a martini a week or so later.

There were very few rules 14 years ago when I had full open-procedure gastric bypass. I was told what to eat and drink, which essentially included things with milk like cream soups and cereals. But I was never told no alcohol. Now, I want to stress that doctors and nutritionists know a lot more about the effects of different food and drink than they did back then. I wouldn't have had hard liquor for a long time because it's not my thing. But I would have had red wine--and I did--as soon as I was cleared for food like pasta and stew.

Even though I suffered no ill effects from my post-op diet, I can tell you it didn't come close to resembling what doctors require today. This may be science, or it may be insurance-related. But whatever it is, if you want to consume vodka or gin or whisky or even wine, ASK YOUR NUTRITIONIST first, and ask intensely, refusing what sounds like a pat answer. Ask WHY. Find out what the effect of a certain food or drink will have on your new gut.

You may deeply regret the indulgence. Or you may be fine. But in finding out, you're taking a risk you shouldn't take without learning all the information attached to it.

I've read a lot of nutty posts from people who ate stuff they shouldn't have and came to this group for support. Those folks generally didn't stick around more than a day or two. And excessive alcohol consumption is one of the factors listed among the reasons RYGB fails. I sure wouldn't want to go through that surgery, only to fail because I was in the mood for a martini a week or so later.
How far out were you cleared for pasta and stew?

Two weeks, or as soon as I could tolerate it. The main concern was that I would chew my food until it was creamy or liquified, then swallow. Most foods fall into that category, but stuff like taffy or other ooey-gooey-chewy stuff was strictly off limits until I'd had my first follow-up exam, weeks later.

But that was 14 years ago and the only insurance involved was Medicare, and the hospital's charity care, which kicked in the 20 percent Medicare didn't cover. Now insurance companies are in the driver's seats so they set the boundaries. Always get everything in writing and follow to the letter. Any questions, bombard your medical team. There should be a nutritionist assigned just to you.

My opinion is that very few foods should be off limits. If you can chew or puree or chop fine meat, vegetables, breads, carbs, you should be able to eat it. But the thing you and YOU ALONE should keep in the front of your mind is that you don't ever want to eat the way you ate before. You'll eventually balloon back up again, regardless of surgery.

If you want to eat pasta or stew, and you're willing to chew each bite 40 times or so, to the point of liquid, tell your nutritionist that and specify what you want to eat. If you're rational and compliant, you'll probably be able to get the okay.

Back