• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Almost 1 year out.

JMLIAL79

I am two weeks away from my one year anniversary. At my heaviest I was 351 lbs. at the time of my surgery I was at 290 lbs. I am now currently sitting at 175lbs. and have been for the last 4 months. I walked everyday from before surgery to just a few months ago when I started weight training with a friend of mine four days a week and walk the other 3. My doctor at my last check up said he would like to see me loose another 10 lbs. my wife says he is crazy and that I am good where I am. I feel good and am happy with my current weight but just don't understand why I'm not losing anymore. I still eat right and am getting all my protein, drinking fluids and exercising regularly. Even though I think I am content with my weight and my wife likes where I am I still have that thought of my doctor telling me he would like me to lose another 10. I really wish I didn't care about that but I do and it makes me mad that I can't get there.

Congratulations on your successes!

You know, it's a common problem with people who have eating disorders that lead to obesity that nothing is ever good enough. If you think about how much you've accomplished, and then just get wound up in one little annoying comment, that's a sign that your eating disorder is running the show. I recommend you calm down and put everything aside except for one thing: enjoying your new life! 10 pounds is nothing! Don't get hung up on perfection.

The thing is, there's a certain biological and genetic dynamic that determines your body's size & shape. That's why some people have wide hips or big breasts or a bald head or feet like canoes. There's nothing you can do, short of major plastic surgery, and even that won't work on everything.

Your wife is right! Let go and enjoy! You're a rock star! And you're more than just a number!

Congrats! Often, once you start weight training, you stop losing weight for a time. Muscle weighs more than fat and you're building it now. The good news is muscle also burns more calories than fat! So, your weight loss should pick back up soon.

I am two weeks away from my one year anniversary. At my heaviest I was 351 lbs. at the time of my surgery I was at 290 lbs. I am now currently sitting at 175lbs. and have been for the last 4 months. I walked everyday from before surgery to just a few months ago when I started weight training with a friend of mine four days a week and walk the other 3. My doctor at my last check up said he would like to see me loose another 10 lbs. my wife says he is crazy and that I am good where I am. I feel good and am happy with my current weight but just don't understand why I'm not losing anymore. I still eat right and am getting all my protein, drinking fluids and exercising regularly. Even though I think I am content with my weight and my wife likes where I am I still have that thought of my doctor telling me he would like me to lose another 10. I really wish I didn't care about that but I do and it makes me mad that I can't get there.

It sounds like you are doing great and have been feeling good about your success. It is so true what diane said, “we” tend to think we are not or what we are doing is not good enough. When I walk I will not check how long or how far I have walked because if I do less than the day before I convince myself that I am failing. Remember, Dr’s are human beings. They have been educated but that does not mean they know everything or that they are always right. I recently had a dr. try and convince me to use Ozempic. I am not even 3 months out!!! And 10lbs seems a useless goal. If it was 30lbs with good reason behind it I could understand. But TEN! Maybe That Doctor feels successful when his patients lose a certain amount and wants to check off one of his own boxes. Who knowsSo, yes, they have read more books than us, they have letters after their name but the can still be WRONG. Trust your inner voice and give yourself permission to disagree.

Muscle weighs more than fat and you're building it now.

I'm so glad you mentioned this, Missy. The fact is, a pound is a pound, whether it's concrete or feathers. We all hit plateaus and our bodies take on different shapes, not all of which reflect our weight loss. I don't know why a doctor would tell anyone to lose 10 more pounds. That's so specific and the doctor can't see inside your body. These height/weight ratios are often arbitrary and are used AGAINST people because of the insurance lobby, which wants you to pay more money, no matter what you weigh.

Anyway, I think I already posted this, but here it is again:

Wow, I am so impressed with your weight loss!! congratulations! I am almost 6 months old and have hit a plateau for a while now, and trying to do my best to overcome the plateau! You should be so proud of yourself!

Actually, I said muscle weighs more than fat. A pound always weighs a pound. However, if you fill a gallon milk jug with rocks, it won't weigh the same as when its filled with milk. As your health line share says, density is be vastly different.
So, when you lose fat and build muscle in its place, your weight may not change for a time. Your putting rocks where milk used to be.

Back