• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Almost 3 months P.O. i need help.

LowkeyBro

I’m about 2 1/2 months out. I feel ok, but feel left to the wolves in terms of diet. At times food tastes great at times it doesn’t. Im really struggling with what foods to eat. I’ve tried things in small increments but realize most stuff I still can’t eat, and then I find myself being able to freely eat things that aren’t always as healthy.

I’ve lost a total of 50lbs since preop diet to now. So like 3 months. And I want more weightloss, and faster. It seems to be happening but not as fast as I’d imagined.

am I heading in the right direction? I started back in the gym a few weeks ago and wondering if that could be holding up my progress. Im monitoring my intake for calories and macros but wondering should I do a reset? Back to liquid diet and protein only until I drop the weight I want

In my opinion there is no need to reset. It is expected that you will have stalls, especially when going back to the gym. Liquid protien will not help you lose weight, and neither will cutting out other healthy foods. Liquids do not keep you full as long as solids, and take no work to digest. Solid foods are best.

Fast is not always best, but I know the frustration. I am 7.5 weeks out and have only lost 15 pounds since surgery. About 2 pounds per week. I hoped it would be much faster than this, but I have had a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. Im expecting to slow down as well, which will be really tough to accept but I already know it's going to happen.

I find that balance works best for me. I need fruits and veggies just as much as protien, and I also need grains. As long as you are getting a good variety of healthy foods, and steering clear of junk or processed foods, you should be good. Personally, I count my calories and I am taking in 1,000-1,200 calories per day, but I am burning twice that. I figure that is a deficit of 1,200 per day and would equal a 2 lb loss per week.

In my opinion there is no need to reset. It is expected that you will have stalls, especially when going back to the gym. Liquid protien will not help you lose weight, and neither will cutting out other healthy foods. Liquids do not keep you full as long as solids, and take no work to digest. Solid foods are best.

Fast is not always best, but I know the frustration. I am 7.5 weeks out and have only lost 15 pounds since surgery. About 2 pounds per week. I hoped it would be much faster than this, but I have had a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. Im expecting to slow down as well, which will be really tough to accept but I already know it's going to happen.

I find that balance works best for me. I need fruits and veggies just as much as protien, and I also need grains. As long as you are getting a good variety of healthy foods, and steering clear of junk or processed foods, you should be good. Personally, I count my calories and I am taking in 1,000-1,200 calories per day, but I am burning twice that. I figure that is a deficit of 1,200 per day and would equal a 2 lb loss per week.

Nice. Thank you so much for the advice. I wish you the best and am sure you’re going to get to your goals as well. I don’t mind the slowdown but wanted to lose as much as possible before that. A lot of online doctors said don’t work out first six months, mine encouraged it. I think bc I’ve lost this amount before I’m ready to see real change bc where I’m at, I can’t see it like others can.

im still taking in anywhere between 400-750 maybe 800 calories. And the only time ime around 600+ is something healthy with calories. It depends on what I try to eat. I’ve been eating off things twice a day as I can’t intake a lot. I just don’t want my body to acclimate to the low calories and then not be able to get more weightloss

Carbs and h healthy food unfortunately is usually pretty easy to digest but it is detrimental to weight loss. Try to eat real Whole Foods and real protein. It may be a little uncomfortable at first but make sure you are eating slow and chewing very well. As far as your loss you are doing great! I am 3.5 months out and I lose between 2-3 pounds a week and have from the beginning. That is not a slow loss. That’s over 100 pounds in a year. We all want it to come off faster but we didn’t gain weight all at once either. Be patient with yourself and tighten up your diet.

I don’t mind the slowdown but wanted to lose as much as possible before that. A lot of online doctors said don’t work out first six months, mine encouraged it. I think bc I’ve lost this amount before I’m ready to see real change bc where I’m at, I can’t see it like others can.

Mimi has it figured out well. You want to have a lifestyle that creates a deficit in calories, and even then, your weight loss will be steady, but not necessarily fast. Most people lose a huge amount of weight right after surgery, but then your body makes metabolic adjustments so you won't starve, and the weight loss generally bounces up and down.

Working out aerobically will definitely speed the process along, or keep your loss from stalling. But you don't want to focus on toning and building muscles, although building muscle will not make you gain weight, which is a common misconception.

The problem with exercising for muscle tone is that you're allocating your energy inefficiently. You'd be better off to walk for 30 minutes than pump iron for an hour.

As you proceed post-operatively, really focus only on your eating, because it's overeating and eating compulsively and destructively that got you to the point where you had to look for a surgical solution. Food is the beast you must tame, and food is the thing you can't live without. So becoming comfortable with food will be your greatest victory.

Don’t get discouraged lowkey. I’m 4 months postop & find that many foods still taste off to me, including some I loved before. Keep trying new things. I’ve discovered many new foods that I never would have tried before but really like - spaghetti squash, zucchini, beets. Finding different ways to prepare them has been fun. Zucchini chips are one of my faves now. And you can do a ton of things with spaghetti squash. Steady weight loss & going to gym are great. Your life is different now. I have had some challenging days where I wonder why I put myself thru this, but my health is so much better already & I know it’s worth it.

50lbs in 3 months is amazing!! I have shared this chart a million times now lol Weight loss is always slower than we hope, especially after the immediate drop during the liquid diet.
Eat only those foods you have been approved for. Refined carbs and added sugar should not really be in your diet at this point. Focus on high protein and foods high in nutrients. The weight will continue coming off. As long as you are still losing, you're doing fine!

Attachments

• 1612379866316.png
    1612379866316.png
    210.7 KB · Views: 73
Okay I hear you! Eating is trail and error and what you might lose weigth eating might not always work. Listen to your bidy and see what it is neededing. At times, I eat more portiens, while other times I eat junk! It just depends on what my body is telling me. I have a problem with amenia and thin bones and at times I will eat foods that will help with these cravings. I often want hot spicey foods while at times I can only mange toast. My spouse is not happy about ths but we deal with it!

Back