• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Almost 4 months since surgery

Dragonfly4u

Its been 3 months and 20 days since my surgery and I have to say I am proud of myself. This journey has not been easy (I have family who say I am lazy and weak willed for going with surgery to lose weight) but I wake up daily with small goals in mind.

I have had a few set backs mainly with breaking my right foot 10 days after surgery. I also had my first bout with Gout on the same foot that I broke because my protein intake was so high as opposed to before surgery. I am still wearing a boot until the end of January so my ability to exercise/cardio is not what it should be. The awful liquid diet and the horrible moist mushy food that was part of the prescribed diet after surgery has all been worth it.

I still have a long way to go, but my doctor and nutritionist are happy with my weight loss and eating. I get up daily and do at least 20 minutes of walking on the treadmill and use small weights for upper body strengthening. When I get the release from my ortho to stop using the boot I will be free to do more things I like for exercise like hiking and swimming.

I am still struggling with the amount of food I can eat at one time. I still am at about a 1/4 cup but I meet my protein goal daily and my water intake is great. I know this is a long term lifestyle change and I am all in.

Down 60 pounds starting the 2 weeks prior to surgery when I was on the liquid only diet, but I have so much more to lose. I read the posts from people who are years in after their surgeries and it gives me hope.

Hope you all are having a wonderful holiday

I am right there with you. So glad you are seeing the results you deserve. Don't listen to nay-sayers they don't understand. I had a friend tell me she had people ask her the dumbest things like, "How are you losing weight, did you do it the hard way or the easy way out by having surgery?" And she told them, "There is nothing easy about having bariatric surgery!" She had the sleeve, I had RYGB, but either way. There is nothing easy about recovering from surgery. It is not laziness, it is healing. In my own head I feel lazy because I have to rest between activity more the last few. months. But we are eating on a calorie deficit all the time and that will decrease energy or make us burn out quicker than we do when we always had a surplus. Now that I am down 67 pounds, I do feel lighter on my feet during work periods, but I still have to take breaks and be sure to hydrate or I can feel slow. I know I made the right decision for me and I don't need anyone's pity, I just need to keep on the path and follow my routine for my healthiest version of me.

Back