• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

almost here after three yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
was scheduied for bypass in 2012 was walking into or when my ackilies tendon ripped it has been a long trip back to this poit i am also a below the knee amputee an the left i was wondering will phy therpy be enough exercies also can someone let me know what to expect the first wk after sur my date for surgery is 2-19-14 yippy

was scheduied for bypass in 2012 was walking into or when my ackilies tendon ripped it has been a long trip back to this poit i am also a below the knee amputee an the left i was wondering will phy therpy be enough exercies also can someone let me know what to expect the first wk after sur my date for surgery is 2-19-14 yippy

WELCOME to the Forum!!! Surgery is just days away. Everything will be great. I didn't have much pain with the bariatric surgery. Hopefully you won't either! I had a liquid diet the first week post op. Cramberry juice, broth and sugar free jello, every meal, every day, I was in the hospital for a week because I just couldn't get my liquids down. I had a very hard time eating (or should I say drinking) I was so very full. When I got home I was allowed applesauce and cottage cheese and protein shakes. I felt much better at that point in time. In general I have felt wonderful. I am so happy that I had surgery, it was the best decision I ever made. Good Luck !!!

Cheyenne :cool:

Hello Barbarapaul,

If I might ask a very sensitive question, is the amputation a result of an accident or was it the result of diabetes?

The reason I ask is gastric bypass resolves diabetes. It brings it under control. If you have suffered from uncontrollable diabetes, you have a huge victory waiting for you.

Please post all your stats so we can see where you are at.

I too am diabetic. However, the gastric bypass has completely normalized my diabetes and it happened immediately.

I am going to post my benefits here again for you. This is something you can look forward to:

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping. I need to make another appointment with Dr.
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!

Best wishes as you approach your surgery date. Take it easy. Be kind to yourself. Allow your body to mend. Follow your surgeons directions to the tee. Don't be shy about telling us all the good and the bad. We have all been there and are here to help you along the way.

Ralph

glad to hear all yhe good things

my amputation came do to an infection after surgery for charcot foot to remove boned that fell apart yes it was all from diabetesmy main reason for thr surgery is to be healthy not to lose my other limb i also have a pacemaker due to the sugar monster also i am schueled for the 20th of this mon getting nervous but know in the long run its the best thanks for taking the time to write me back:):) thanks barb

my amputation came do to an infection after surgery for charcot foot to remove boned that fell apart yes it was all from diabetesmy main reason for thr surgery is to be healthy not to lose my other limb i also have a pacemaker due to the sugar monster also i am schueled for the 20th of this mon getting nervous but know in the long run its the best thanks for taking the time to write me back:):) thanks barb

Well you now have many folks here that will cheer you on, keep you in their prayers and help you every step of the way as you begin a new life's journey that certainly will be better than your current experience.

Keep posting. Ask questions. Seek help.

You are in a group of people who have a complete understanding of your world as it exists even now and hopefully the new world and life journey you are embarking upon.

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back