• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Also New

Hello, I'm also new. I found this forum a little while ago while researching sleeve vs bypass and looking for a support group. I've been reading so many of the posts and have learned a lot. I have been thinking about WLS for a long time but was scared. I'm not sure what finally pushed me to start the process, probably a multitude of things. I have been up and down on my weight for years. I'm always tired, it hurts when I walk for more than ten minutes, my knees hurt, I hate how I look in the mirror, but most of all I want to be healthy and not die from heart disease due to morbid obesity.

After agonizing over this I talked to my doctor and told him I was ready to see a surgeon for bariatric sleeve surgery. He sent a referral and told me I would have to do a Weight loss trial for insurance purposes. He didn't know how many or how long but we started that while waiting on the surgeon. I got my call and was told 12 visits, 2 years of BMI over 35 with co-morbidities or higher than 40 without, ekg, chest xrays, and blood work after my consultation. The consultation day comes with the surgeon assistant to discuss my medical history, current weight, high school weight and my goal weight. He asked which surgery I was thinking about. I said sleeve, and then he started doing math. The percentage for the sleeve and bypass. He then said I would benefit from the bypass. So now I'm in shock, not sure what to say. A few minutes later the surgeon comes in after looking at my chart says he agrees with his assistant and I was like I guess so.

Now I'm agonizing over this new information. I start reading everything I can find between the two. I saw a ton of websites that said the bypass was the gold standard of bariatric surgery. My boyfriend said he would support what ever decision I make. Finding this forum also helped me to make peace with bypass surgery. I'm done with the prerequisites, insurance approved, endoscopy 10/28, and my surgery date is 11/22. Nervous and excited at the same time. Thank you for being here for me without even knowing it.

My name is Maria

Hi, Maria! I'm glad you've found the information here to be helpful. I had the bypass 2.5 years ago. And I would do.it again in a heart beat. Its still work. More than I thought, honestly. But I am usually within a 5lb range and if I go over, I reel it in. Stay the course. You're going to do great!

Back