• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

always feeling hungry, got to stop eating like this

NanaG67

Good morning everyone! I'm probably a month or so away from surgery, I will have a date set this week. I am so frustrated as I feel hungry all the time, and its hard to see everyone eating, eating, eating and I am trying so hard to stay away from things that I know I shouldn't be eating.

How do you handle things in a house of snackers??? I'm not eating too much junk food, but it does sneak up on me from time to time. I am drinking probiotic drinks in the morning, v8 juice, water, crystal light type of drinks, etc. But I am also eating sandwiches and once in a while some pringles. I am trying to get used to mostly liquids, but I really need some help.....what can I do????:confused::confused:

Good Morning NanaG, The only thing you can do is the best you can, my daughter was staying with me when I had my surgery and she had some junk food around but not much, but I think I was my own worst enemy, I like mixed nuts or corn chips, usaully something salty. Until you have the surgery you wont really lose that hunger or craving for certain foods, after the WLS you should find it much easier to pass up things that you used to find irresistable. So hang in there you can only do what you can do. :cool: Tom

Nana-Like Tom said after the surgery you will lose the urge to eat, especially in the beginning. It's hard to believe but so very true. Here are some suggestions for foods you might try when everyone around you is eating junk. Cottage cheese, yogurt, baby carrots, cucumbers, crispy fresh salads with low or no fat dressing, sugar free pudding cups or Jello, small piece of fruit, sugar free popsicles, snack size popcorn in 100 calorie bags, fat free hotdogs (try National Hebrew fat free beef with only 40 calories each), hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, most vegetables either raw or cooked, slice of low fat cheese, small portion of cereal with or without skim milk, sardines (drain if oil packed), salsa, pickles, jerky, low fat lunchmeats like ham, beef, turkey and chicken. You can make an individual pizza using a low carb flour tortilla, pizza or spaghetti sauce, a little mozzarella cheese, mushrooms and turkey sausage. I make mine in a skillet on top of the stove so I don't heat the house up with the oven. After all, you don't have to eat the same things as they are eating but I know what you mean about finding it hard to resist when someone else eats in front of you.

Hi there I am new to the forum. I am just starting my investigation of the different surgeries and I have been to the support groups and I go to orientation this week on the 25th. I have taken all sweets out of the house. My partner understands what I am doing and respects it. I am trying to lose weight and get a different meal plan before I go to surgery. The urge is there for the junk food and old way of eating. What I have done is filled the refrigerator with the foods that I can eat. I have a picture of myself (a smaller me) on the refrigerator and on the cabinets to remind me what I am trying to do. When I get hunger and crave the sweets I eat what is in the refrigerate. I have a post it notes around to remind me what I am doing for reinforcement for me. I know it is difficult but it does get easier and I hope that I have helped a little.

Back