• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Am I Losing Too Slowly

Had Gastric Bypass Dec. 2, 2014. I have lost 40 lbs. since surgery and 26 1/2 inches overall. I somehow felt I should have lost more
weight than this in soon to be three months. Am I wrong.

Also, I drink a 30 gram protein drink each morning for breakfast (Premier Protein from Sam's Club). I must go the the bathroom almost
immediately after drinking, very, very loose. Is this not beneficial?

Had Gastric Bypass Dec. 2, 2014. I have lost 40 lbs. since surgery and 26 1/2 inches overall. I somehow felt I should have lost more
weight than this in soon to be three months. Am I wrong.

Also, I drink a 30 gram protein drink each morning for breakfast (Premier Protein from Sam's Club). I must go the the bathroom almost
immediately after drinking, very, very loose. Is this not beneficial?

Everyone loses at a different rate. Some people lose slow and steady.. some people lose faster.

Ok.. 40 lb in 3 months may seem slow to you but keep up the same pace and you will lose 80 lb in 6 months and 120 lb in 9 months which would be more lost than your goal. Some people drop more the first couple months but then hit a plateau. Some people keep losing steady all the way. You didn't put on all of your excess weight overnight. It will take some time but in a few months you will look like a different person. Enjoy your journey to health, happiness and success!

After bypass surgery food does not digest the same. I was terribly constipated the first year. Now I know foods I can eat a small amount of that keep me going easily. Something in your shakes is not digesting normally in your body because of your bypass. Are you absorbing the protein, vitamins and nutrients from it? Maybe yes and maybe no. Talk to your nutritionist. You might be better eating chicken, fish, beef in food, you might absorb it better than the shakes. You will lose weight better and faster if you are absorbing your protein properly. Again, talk to your nutritionist.

Good luck, keep up the good work!

Cheyenne :cool:

That happened to me the first time I had an Isopure drink. It had 40 grams of protein (this was before surgery). I drank it maybe over the course of 15 minutes and then a few hours later - I lost it!
Maybe you could try drinking it slower.

I am getting discouraged also. I lost 11 lbs. the first week after surgery. The past 3 weeks I have lost 3 lbs.!! It's really getting annoying. I asked the nurse and she said to make sure I am following the diet exactly. (no carbs) I don't understand that. I am a nurse and know that it isn't what you eat it's the number of calories in compared to the number of calories burned. Really thought this would come off quicker. :(

I am getting discouraged also. I lost 11 lbs. the first week after surgery. The past 3 weeks I have lost 3 lbs.!! It's really getting annoying. I asked the nurse and she said to make sure I am following the diet exactly. (no carbs) I don't understand that. I am a nurse and know that it isn't what you eat it's the number of calories in compared to the number of calories burned. Really thought this would come off quicker. :(

Why don't you try the no carbs diet for a couple weeks to see how it works for you? An article I just read on the internet said that there was a doctor /hospital study where a person may even lose more weight with carbs in their diet but they are losing a lot of muscle along with fat. The high protein no/low carb diet lost only fat and lost no muscle at all. There is a lot more to the article, but it's really good. The name of the article is "WHAT A HIGH PROTEIN DIET CAN AND CANNOT DO" I googled "how does a high protein diet work" and that was one of the articles that came up. I had read another article awhile back that said that when you eat more than 30 carbs in a day the body releases more insulin and insulin keeps your body from losing weight.

Cheyenne

Thank you so much!! I will be looking up the article and reading it! Today I have had nothing but protein and will continue to do so and see what happens. Thanks again!! Love the idea of reading the articles. :)

Back