• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anxiety is through the roof waiting

C&Ns Mom

Happy Holidays!!! I finally decided to have VSG surgery after years of struggling with trying to lose weight on my own. I started the process last month, had my consultation on 11/7. Met with my surgeon and his team (which I loved sooo much. Dr Ing’s bedside manner was amazing) Did all my required testing, psych evaluation, PT and nutritional counseling. Went back to the surgeon on 12/5 for my final weigh in. Now I’m just waiting to hear back from my surgeon and insurance for approval and date. My anxiety is so bad right now waiting. Has anyone else experienced this before? If so, what helped distract you from going “crazy”

Happy Holidays!!! I finally decided to have VSG surgery after years of struggling with trying to lose weight on my own. I started the process last month, had my consultation on 11/7. Met with my surgeon and his team (which I loved sooo much. Dr Ing’s bedside manner was amazing) Did all my required testing, psych evaluation, PT and nutritional counseling. Went back to the surgeon on 12/5 for my final weigh in. Now I’m just waiting to hear back from my surgeon and insurance for approval and date. My anxiety is so bad right now waiting. Has anyone else experienced this before? If so, what helped distract you from going “crazy”
LOL, I don't know that there is anything to take your mind of of waiting for that approval. I experienced the same thing and all I could do was wait. You can always try doing activities to keep you busy but the thoughts of what is going on still seem to seep in :). It will happen in due time. Good luck!

Knit, crochet, read catalogs that feature the clothes you plan to wear after, make a vision board, read success stories here, check out our pictures on our profiles, take meditative walks where you notice every beautiful plant and rock, volunteer at a food bank, give a dollar or five dollars to every charity that reflects your values, tell people you love them, then tell them why, keep a journal of your feelings, and above all, say your affirmations every time a fearful thought comes into your head. We already love you and are here for you when you need us. Change your brain to match your new commitment to a new life.

LOL, I don't know that there is anything to take your mind of of waiting for that approval. I experienced the same thing and all I could do was wait. You can always try doing activities to keep you busy but the thoughts of what is going on still seem to seep in :). It will happen in due time. Good luck!
Sorry for responding so late. Work always gets crazy around tax time. Thanks for the advice. I received good news today. Insurance approved me for surgery “whoop whoop”. Now I’m waiting on my surgeons office to call and schedule. Fingers crossed they still have dates available in February if not March will be just fine. I’m so excited and looking forward to a new healthier lifestyle

Sorry for responding so late. Work always gets crazy around tax time. Thanks for the advice. I received good news today. Insurance approved me for surgery “whoop whoop”. Now I’m waiting on my surgeons office to call and schedule. Fingers crossed they still have dates available in February if not March will be just fine. I’m so excited and looking forward to a new healthier lifestyle
That's wonderful, I'm so happy for you! Keep us posted when you hear more. :)

So my anxiety has been major crazy. To the point of feeling sick. I just got the call for the all-clear from my crappy insurance. 6-month wait...I'm like are you friggen kidding me. sure is making my head spin. I'm afraid. I know that I have support behind me. it's just coming down to the fear of more pain on top of the pain I am always anyway. I am not one to show fear. ????

Michelle, welcome. You seem so familiar to me. Have you done all the pre-op testing and teaching? These days it takes the average person at least six months to become an informed consumer, so she doesn't go home and suddenly have no idea what to do.

And your insurance may be crappy, but used to be you couldn't even get an insurance company to pay for this, as they're a judgmental bunch & have nothing but contempt for the obese. They don't see it as a way to cure disease, and really, they're not in the disease-curing business anyway.

Congratulations and let us know if we can be of help.

So my anxiety has been major crazy. To the point of feeling sick. I just got the call for the all-clear from my crappy insurance. 6-month wait...I'm like are you friggen kidding me. sure is making my head spin. I'm afraid. I know that I have support behind me. it's just coming down to the fear of more pain on top of the pain I am always anyway. I am not one to show fear. ????
Hi Michelle - Hang in there. I work for Medicaid (not sure if that’s what you have) and the state wants to make sure they have every little thing before the approve surgery. You wouldn’t believe the amount of insurance fraud I see both member and provider. I’m glad you have support b/c that’s sooooo important and you won’t feel alone. No worries you GOT THIS

Back