• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anxiety, surgery one month away. So scared!

VivIan Krueger

Hello everyone. I am just so nervous. I just read all that can get messed up and being logical, it make sense and is informative, but being emotional too, it's scaring the bejeebers out of me. What can I do to ease the tension and anxiety? I don't want to cover up this anxiety with meds, I want to deal with it but it's difficult. I am by nature a sensitive, anxious person. Any suggestions, advice, ideas I can do to overcome this intense butterfly feeling in my stomach (that's about to be way reduced in size)? I'm just a wreck!!

Hello everyone. I am just so nervous. I just read all that can get messed up and being logical, it make sense and is informative, but being emotional too, it's scaring the bejeebers out of me. What can I do to ease the tension and anxiety? I don't want to cover up this anxiety with meds, I want to deal with it but it's difficult. I am by nature a sensitive, anxious person. Any suggestions, advice, ideas I can do to overcome this intense butterfly feeling in my stomach (that's about to be way reduced in size)? I'm just a wreck!!

I always find meditating and yoga to be the most effective route in reducing anxiety. Both of which can be difficult though (especially pre op). Try counting backwards from 100 with deep, slow breathes. Contacting your doctor though is always a recommended option. Best of luck. Stay strong!!

Hi Vivian. I too suffer from anxiety. I was a nervous wreck until the moment I was put under for my bypass. It is good to be educated about what can happen with your surgery, but you also need to concentrate on the number of successful surgeries that exist. There are far more of those. Read through the post op stories on this board. I wish I had done that. It would have made my pre op so much more enjoyable. Good luck! You are almost there. :D

You are going to be fine, just focus on the weight loss you are doing now and watch the numbers go down, if you feel anxious, take a long walk, that will help calm you and get in some good exercise, you can do it, so many of us felt the same way, if you weren't nervous then there would be something wrong with you, what you are feeling is normal, good luck on your journey, we are all here for you

Hi Vivian. I too suffer from anxiety. I was a nervous wreck until the moment I was put under for my bypass. It is good to be educated about what can happen with your surgery, but you also need to concentrate on the number of successful surgeries that exist. There are far more of those. Read through the post op stories on this board. I wish I had done that. It would have made my pre op so much more enjoyable. Good luck! You are almost there. :D
Hello, I'm Linda my surgery is Tuesday Sept 19 th. I'm scared and find myself waking up from a dead sleep having panic attacks. I'm not a holy roller but I do have faith I find praying really calms me down. Talking to people that are feeling the same way you are helps calm the anxiety. Try to get yourself in support groups it really helps. Good luck to you keep in touch Linda

Vivian, I hope you've come through the other side of your surgery and are on the road to recovery? I'm hoping that most of your tension and anxiety has gone away in the process and you are able to focus on the journey ahead of you!

Hello, I'm Linda my surgery is Tuesday Sept 19 th. I'm scared and find myself waking up from a dead sleep having panic attacks. I'm not a holy roller but I do have faith I find praying really calms me down. Talking to people that are feeling the same way you are helps calm the anxiety. Try to get yourself in support groups it really helps. Good luck to you keep in touch Linda
Let us know how you are doing, we are here for you

Hi anxiety can be so hard to deal with, with or without a major life change. Support groups can be amazing places to help ease the tension and create a safe place to vent. However I highly suggest looking into a therapist someone who can help you deal with all sources of your anxiety and can serve as a sounding board for your worries. I know it can be expensive and insurance does not always cover this amazing care, but you can always look for an intern or a low cost facility.

Hi,
I just had my surgery on September 18. I tried not to think about it before hand because I know I needed to do this for my health. I would try to keep busy and not think about it. The worst is the week after. I barely had much pain after the surgery. The hospital is great. The reason I say the week after surgery is the hardest is because you are on liquids for a week. I didn't really like the protein drinks. If you have some you like, you will have an easier time than me. As soon as I could have puréed foods, I felt normal again. I am down more than 10 pounds already (mostly water weight -probably) but I will take it. When my friends came to visit me right after the surgery (at home), they wouldn't know anything happened. I have 5 little incisions that are above the belly button. I wish you good luck.
Rachel

Back